nine.

CHAPTER NINE,
arresting officer

        "30-YEAR-OLD PREGNANT FEMALE

"30-YEAR-OLD PREGNANT FEMALE. GSW to the chest. Minor concussion to the back of the head from the fall. Baby's heartbeat is fine." The paramedic informed the doctors as soon as they rolled Ariella into the hospital.

"Alright. We'll take it from here." The nurse nodded and helped the paramedic roll the gurney into an open room. All Antonio could do was watch as his new wife was rolled away into a hospital room.

"Why don't you wait in the waiting room? We'll give you an update when we have one." One of the nurses at the front desk offered him a smile as he led him into the waiting room. He paced in the waiting room when Erin and everyone else rushed into the waiting room.

"Did they say anything else?" She asked.

"Um, they took her into surgery. They said they'd come out and give me an update when they had one." Antonio repsonded.

"Hey, she's gonna be okay. We all know Ariella, and she's a fighter." Erin reassured, rubbing a reassuring hand over his shoulders.

"I know it sounds bad, but if it came down to Ariella or the baby..."

"I know." Erin nodded.

"We can make more babies, we can't make another Ariella." He told her, dropping his head in his hands.

"I know. I get it." Erin nodded.

"Is there anyone we can call?" A nurse asked.

"We're her family." Erin responded.

"She has us. That's it." Gabby added.

━━━

It had been a few hours and Ariella was still in surgery. The waiting room was filled with cops and firefighters, "Ariella Rivera." The doctor called.

"Dawson." They all corrected.

"Alright, my apologies. Ariella Dawson." He corrected himself.

"How is she? Is she okay? Is the baby okay?" Antonio asked.

"We removed the bullet and stopped the bleeding. It was pretty touch-and-go." The doctor told them.

"But are they okay?" Gabby asked.

"They're both okay. The baby is fine. He wasn't harmed in any way-"