Chapter 17 : Tensions and New Friendship

1-30-23

Adrien POV:

I nervously stared at the animatronics that stood with me for tonight's night shift. Bonnie, Steve, Roxanne, and Moon. I just got told a portal exists and Bryan died at one point, I also got to see the portal firsthand. Bonnie wouldn't look me in the eye, I didn't think he liked the idea of me seeing the portal. Roxanne and Steve both asked me more questions about Bryan, how I knew him, etc. Moon stood with Bonnie and stared at him with curiosity as he messed with Bonnie's ears. I got a little tired of Bonnie's quick glances at me before he scowled. "Bonnie, did I do something to make you mad at me?" Bonnie stared at me for a moment before he looked away and said in irritation, "Moon, could you not? I know you like messing with my ears and I normally let you do this, but it's getting annoying. And I'm not in the mood for this." Moon grinned as he said, "Come on, I'm giving you a reason to be mad at someone that's not the nightguard." "Looks like it's working. Though I don't want to despise you, you are really standing on that line" Retorted Bonnie, a growl in his voice. Moon tilted his head to the left, if he had pupils it would have seemed like he rolled his eyes. "Does it look like I care whether or not someone hates me?" Bonnie didn't snap back. Instead, he sighed and shook his head. Roxanne's ears flattened, she seemed afraid, and Steve said, "Aawkwaarrd." I assumed he hoped it might lighten the situation. I decided to jump into the conversation, we needed something to make the situation a bit better, "Alright everyone. Why don't we do an icebreaker?" Steve began to jump up and down in excitement. "Ooh, ooh. I LOVE ICEBREAKERS!" He paused and now asked in confusion, "What's an icebreaker?" Moon groaned and Bonnie facepalmed himself while Roxanne stared at Steve with a dumbfounded expression. (Did I just make things worse?) Now Roxanne was going in-depth with Steve on what an icebreaker game was, with how dense he was, she was going to have a bit of fun with this. While Moon was laughing and Bonnie had the every-once-in-a-while smirk when Steve said something that was so far off from what Roxanne was saying, I was wondering if he was paying attention at all. Moon went behind the stage and left. So I took the chance to walk past Roxanne and Steve and sit next to Bonnie. He tensed up immediately and wouldn't look me in the eye. After a moment, I decided to break the silence between us, "So, you're from another world." Bonnie's look of anger turned to guilt, and he nodded. I continued, "What do you like doing around the pizzeria?" I stared at him, waiting for an answer, Bonnie glanced at me but quickly looked away once he made eye contact. I heard footsteps and looked behind us, Moon came back holding what looked like a doll version of the marionette. He then stood over Bonnie and dropped it in his lap. In shock, Bonnie exclaimed, "MOON! WHERE DID YOU GET THIS?!" With a sarcastic tone, Moon said, "Where do you think? Don't think no one's gotten curious what you go downstairs for." Bonnie began to sound angry, "Moon, that box and everything in it are personal. Why did you touch it?" Moon didn't seem to care and remarked, "Well maybe you shouldn't leave it right where people can find it and hide it better. Besides, seems like you need the damn thing. It looked like you were going to panic or snap any second ......... and we all remember what happened last time." Steve and Roxanne both flinched. (What does he mean last time?) I got down from the stage and stood with Roxanne and Steve. I whispered, "What does Moon mean by last time? I'm lost." Roxanne whispered back, "Bonnie's prone to panic attacks depending on the situation. The last time he panicked, he was offline, and didn't work right for at least two days." I nodded in understanding. Both Moon and Bonnie were glaring at each other. After a couple of minutes of this stare-off, Bonnie's grip on the doll loosened and his shoulders relaxed. He looked away and said, "You had no right to look through my stuff, but thank you for grabbing this. I hate to admit it... but you're right. I did need this." Moon smiled, but it wasn't from amusement, he seemed pleased, and his smile was kind. Moon walked up to Bonnie and leaned down slightly to whisper something in one of his ears. Moon didn't have to lean down much though, they just had a few-inch difference. Bonnie's eyes widened, but he seemed to understand what Moon said, Moon walked off stage and up the stairs leading toward the daycare. Steve said in disappointment, "He didn't even wave goodbye." Bonnie then responded while still staring at the stairs, "I don't think he has to." Roxanne with a worried look and tone asked, "What did he say?" Bonnie smiled, "That's for us to know. It's our little secret." I didn't exactly trust Moon, he seemed suspicious. "Are you sure he's going to keep that secret?" Bonnie scowled at me for a moment. He said, "Yes, I'm sure. Besides, Moon is actually nice to be around. You just need to get to know him. Helpy did, I'm finally getting somewhere. Who says we can't be friends with him, we just need to get used to him. Moon shouldn't have to get used to us." Bonnie stared at the doll in his hands for a few seconds before saying, "Adrien." I hummed. "If you want me to be friends with you, let me get used to you at my own pace............ Please. I don't like the idea of another person knowing about this stuff, I just need time." I felt disappointed that I didn't get as far as I wanted with Bonnie, but still happy that I got somewhere. I wished I would have gotten more information though, I didn't like the secrets. Bonnie walked toward the daycare like Moon. I assumed to talk with him more. Steve then said, "It's odd how they've been getting close the past month or so, right?" Roxanne nodded, "Yeah, it is." The three of us were then silent. Roxanne and I stared at the stairs and Steve glanced back and forth between us before saying, "So an icebreaker's like a hat?" "UGGGH." "Steve, I thought I made it clear that .... You know what, never mind."