Chapter 13

Narrator's POV

Lauren watched as the therapist set down tea on the table. He sat down and began smiling at the young girl who was tired. She rubbed the sleep away from her eyes, then picked up the mug, "thanks. I'm more of a coffee person. But I enjoy tea as well." The therapist eyed Lauren, then began laughing. "Coffee isn't good for someone in your state. However, let's continue. So, this all started from the fire at the art gallery correct?" The middle aged man tried understanding Lauren's problem.

"Yes. That... That... Fire. Fire." She began stuttering and flipping at the memory of the horrible day. Her eyes shut, trying to recall what she was going to say. "Can you describe the fire?" The man asked, he used his simple techniques to ease Lauren's mind.

"It was red," Lauren began speaking, the man noticed the the girl suddenly calm down as she began explaining, "red and beyond. Every horrible feeling, beyond it. Every tear you shed, beyond it. Every scream you let out, beyond it. Red. And. Beyond." She began elaborating and surprised the man as he began jotting down notes.

"It felt as if you were trapped in a room, with terrible memories. And those memories, those thoughts, those feelings, they were an element. And that element, it had the power to destroy you. To tear you apart. To eat you alive until there's nothing left. Nothing but your spirit. Nothing but more terrible memories of your passing." Lauren began fidgeting and spazzing as she finished. She began smacking the palm of her hand against her forehead, "my fault. I shouldn't have saved her. Me. I should've died. I shouldn't be alive right now." She felt the tears in her eyes swell up.

"Ms. Jauregui, how did you feel when you were in the fire?" The man asked, now trying to calm Lauren down again.

"WANT ME TO FUCKING BURN THIS ROOM DOWN? MAYBE THEN YOU WILL KNOW HOW I FELT?" Lauren shouted as she got up and smashed her fist against the glass table. Surprisingly, it didn't even have a scratch. Lauren's fist barely impacted it.

Noticing the therapist get a little frightened by her, Lauren sat back down and fixed her hair, "I'm sorry. Can we just stop talking about the dumb fire and move on?"

"Alright. If that's what you want. What happened after you got arrested?" The therapist asked, he hoped that he didn't once again hit a nerve.

Lauren calmly attempted to recall the events after.

----

BACK TO PRESENT TIME

Lauren's POV

I stayed put in my jail cell. And I didn't want to know why I was here. I didn't know who Amanda was. Or why she was dead, or who actually killed her. But I had one thing on my mind, my UOM acceptance. This would definitely affect my seat in the school, and the thought of losing it shook me up.

"Lauren Jauregui, you're granted bail by your guardian." A guard said as he opened the cell door and took off my handcuffs. I rubbed my wrists from the pain caused by how tight the handcuffs were.

"Are you okay?" My mom asked as she walked over to me and helped me out of the building. The brightness of the outside world was blinding me. It felt like waking up at 3AM to check your phone and your phone's brightness being max.

"I've had better days. You know, days where I wasn't thrown in a jail cell for murdering someone who I've never even heard of." I joked. Sensing my mother's uneasiness. I put the jokes to rest and climbed into the passenger seat of the car.

"Dinah is waiting at home for you. With Ally and Camila." My mom said as she focused strictly on the road. My mind had seemed to be only thinking about one person, Sarah. "Mom, have you guys been in contact with Sarah since last night?" She frowned and looked over at me, placing her hand on top of mine.

"No. The lawyer says it's a good idea to stay away from her for a while." She spoke softly. "Lauren, is it true you wanted to adopt Sarah?" She asked.

I felt an empty pit in my stomach remembering that I wanted the little girl. But it's true, it always will be. I liked Sarah a lot, and so did Camila. If this drama didn't happen, then perhaps we could have adopted her. Maybe.

"Yes. With Camila. I didn't ask her though." I frowned thinking of Camila. What if she hates me now?

"They found Amanda Ross' old address in your pocket at the club. They believe it's enough evidence to put you up for trial." I could hear my mom's voice die down. It broke my heart to see her like this.

"I didn't put it there." I answered honestly. And I didn't. Truthfully, I couldn't recall what had happened that night. But remembering that my phone was at home, maybe I can find something out.

I broke out of my thoughts when I realized I was in my driveway. I got out and rushed to the front door. My mother followed from behind and unlocked it. When I walked in, I was met with Ally and Dinah jumping onto me, "we missed you so much!" Dinah shouted. I laughed as she ruffled my hair.

Once I let go, I saw Camila slowly walking towards me, she lifted her arms up and I wrapped mine around her, "I missed you so fucking much." I whispered. I felt her lips peck my cheek as she pulled away.

"I need to go check something in my room." I said before I rushed up the stairs. Opening the door, I was immediately met with a smartphone sitting on my bed. I walked over to it and picked it up.

I looked through my messages and felt my heart stop,

Austin: Hey it's Austin
Me: What do you want Mahone?
Austin: I was gonna ask how it went at the station.
Me: It was whatever.
Austin: Want to go clubbing to take your mind off of shit. I need to talk to you about Camila too.
Me: I don't know...
Austin: please. My best friend bailed on me to go with some girl.
Me: Fine. Text me the address.
Austin: I'll pick you up instead.

I was with Austin? Could this mean that he had something to do with it? I felt a sudden rush in my brain that began a pounding headache. I couldn't see anything properly, my sight had become blurry.

My memory was coming back.

A/N: I updated because y'all asked for it haha. The next chapter is what happened that night... The full real story. And no, Lauren did not kill Amanda.

Follow me on Twitter: heyjaureguii