10: A Normal Day in the Eastern Palace

Rashta settled herself on the plush couch adjacent to Sovieshu's desk, her gaze filled with empathy as she spoke in a gentle tone

"Your majesty, you seem to be stressed lately..."

Sovieshu, seated behind his desk, exhaled softly, his weariness evident.

"I'm fine, Rashta. It's just that...perhaps he doesn't acknowledge my presence as much."

Inquisitive and concerned, Rashta leaned in slightly, her eyes sparkling with curiosity. "Who is he?"

A contemplative silence enveloped the room momentarily before Sovieshu, his voice laced with a touch of exasperation, answered, "That Obelian emperor."

Rashta's visage registered surprise, her delicate features reflecting comprehension. "B-But isn't he always like that? He seems very cold and distant to others...just like the empress!"

A faint pout adorned her lips as she crossed her arms, subtly conveying her discontent.

A pensive shadow crossed Sovieshu's countenance as he delved into his thoughts, his brow furrowing with a tinge of concern.

'The empress...' his inner voice tinged with uncertainty, a flicker of suspicion dancing in his eyes.

As the memory of the previous morning resurfaced, a vivid picture emerged in his mind's eye, revealing a conspicuous absence.

'Where was the empress yesterday morning? I did not catch sight of her...' he pondered, his frown deepening as his contemplation took hold.

A sudden realization struck him like a bolt of lightning, casting a darker hue upon his features.

'She must've left the palace...but why didn't she inform me about it?'

A tinge of discontent, his gaze narrowing with a touch of suspicion.

"Your majesty?"

Sovieshu's attention was abruptly drawn back to his surroundings as Rashta's gentle voice permeated the air, coaxing him out of the labyrinth of his thoughts.

He turned his gaze towards her, his eyes meeting hers with a mixture of gratitude and weariness.

He watched as she approached, gracefully positioning herself beside him, her delicate hands finding solace upon his tense shoulders as a warm smile played upon her lips.

"You know, your majesty," she spoke softly, "Rashta heard that it is not good for someone to be stressed."

Her gentle touch on his shoulders seemed to alleviate some of the tension that had been plaguing the emperor.

He leaned back into his chair, letting out a deep breath as he closed his eyes briefly.

"You always know how to make me feel better," he said with a hint of gratitude in his voice.