64: Strategy

Sovieshu was rendered speechless, his eyes transitioning from a blazing fury to a stunned disbelief

Sovieshu was rendered speechless, his eyes transitioning from a blazing fury to a stunned disbelief. "You want to partake in the war?"

Claude offered no verbal confirmation, but the intensity of his gaze conveyed all that needed to be said.

It prompted an immediate comprehension from Sovieshu, yet instead of acquiescence, his indignation flared anew.

"What leads you to believe I would entertain such a proposition? Never in a million years. I see through your plan; you want to pursue Navier and take credit for yourself."

A heavy sigh escaped Claude's lips as he massaged his temples with closed eyes, reopening them to fix Sovieshu with a steely glare.

"Your accusations are baseless. Navier desires to keep this empire safe, and I'm well aware of that. Hence, I stand before you, making this appeal. Do you not feel a sense of honor in this?"

Sovieshu's retort was swift and cutting. "Honor? Hardly. I am perfectly capable of managing the war, unaided. Your assistance is unnecessary."

Claude's response was measured, delivered with a cool composure. "This marks your inaugural campaign without the assistance of Lady Navier, whom you divorced. Are you certain your military strategy would be as formidable as you presume?"

An irate growl rumbled in Sovieshu's throat, his glare intensifying. "What do you take me for? A fool? A coward?-"

"Yes, precisely," Claude interjected, his tone unwavering. The unexpected declaration elicited stunned silence from both Felix and Sovieshu.

"Which is why I extend this offer. If my love for Navier troubles you, know this: I have already confessed my feelings, but she rejected me."

The revelation left Sovieshu and Felix equally dumbfounded. Claude leaned forward, his hands clasped as he fixed Sovieshu with an earnest gaze.

"Do you not, too, wish to ensure her safety? To prove that success can be achieved through collaboration?"

Despite his outward calm, Claude's hands trembled imperceptibly, betraying the internal conflict raging within him.

He despised the words leaving his lips, yet he understood their necessity in securing Sovieshu's cooperation.

Sacrificing his own principles for the greater good was a bitter pill to swallow, but one he was willing to swallow if it meant success.

"Consider this," Claude continued, his voice steady and measured. "This isn't solely about Lady Navier. By joining forces, you stand to protect your people and garner their support. Don't let selfishness cloud your judgment. Your own life hangs in the balance, as does the safety of your child with your concubine."

The Eastern emperor remained at a loss for words, grappling with the conflicting emotions stirred by Claude's persuasive arguments. His usual confidence wavered under the weight of uncertainty.