51: Tears of Regret

After returning to the room, Heinrey, now in his human form, was visibly distraught. Tears stained his cheeks, his eyes red and puffy from crying.

"Why would my Queen do that...?" he whispered, his voice filled with sorrow as he sat on the window stair.

"Do what?"

The sudden intrusion of Ergi's voice startled Heinrey, causing him to freeze and look up with wide eyes. His friend stood before him, wearing a smug and calm smile.

"What are you doing here?" Heinrey inquired, his expression still reflecting bewilderment.

Ergi chuckled, approaching the king as he replied, "The emperor doesn't let me meet Rashta anymore."

Heinrey raised a skeptical brow, then reached for a nearby robe, draping it over his back as he put it on. "How so? You didn't mess up, did you...?" he asked, though his mind was still preoccupied with what had transpired with the former empress.

"No, but I got a suspicion that..." Ergi trailed off, pausing as he playfully placed his index finger over his lips. "the emperor already found out about the plan."

Heinrey's breath caught, and his expression darkened. He was hoping for Sovieshu to uncover the plan, but now he felt anxious and regretful.

'Did he inform her about it? Is that why she seemed so solemn and didn't reply to my message? Does my Queen want nothing to do with me anymore?'

Negative thoughts flooded his mind, causing his hands to tremble with worry and remorse. Ergi watched in concern and bewilderment, asking, "What's wrong, your majesty?"

The king sat back down on the stair, placing both hands on his head. "My Queen is angry at me..." he whispered, his eyes wide with a traumatized expression, as if a grave revelation had struck him.

Ergi was taken aback, disbelief and surprise etched on his face. "What?" he responded with a sarcastic smile, his tone darkening slightly.

"I thought you had planned this to have the chance to make her yours. What do you mean she's angry at you?"

Heinrey fell silent, his expression growing more solemn, and his grip on his hair loosened. "Maybe the emperor did find out and told my Queen about it," he muttered, his voice muffled as he covered his face with his hands.

"Why else would he not allow you to see Rashta anymore, Ergi?"

"..."

Ergi frowned in disappointment, realizing the gravity of the situation.

"Then you need to make this war of yours happen as soon as possible," he advised sternly.

The duke turned around, his countenance darkening. "Because if not..." He paused, his lips forming a frustrated smile as he glanced at the distressed king. "Things will get worse for you."

Ergi took a step forward, then turned away, leaving the king's chambers.

"I warned you before, your majesty, so that current situation of yours with the former empress was to be expected."

♕