25: Confirmed Suspicions

Claude's gaze lingered upon the array of exquisite jewelry displayed before him

Necklaces adorned with glistening gemstones, bracelets adorned with intricate patterns, and rings that sparkled with an ethereal allure captured his attention.

His eyes narrowed, a subtle intensity manifesting in his gaze. In that moment, he was resolute in his intentions.

Ever since Navier had revealed her knowledge of his identity, a nagging sense of concern had taken root within Claude.

He pondered the possible reasons behind her initial reaction, searching for answers within the depths of his thoughts.

Could it be that his behavior towards her husband had caused her distress? Or was it his refusal to proceed with the proposed trade deal?

Endless possibilities swirled within his mind, each one a fragment of uncertainty.

Now, driven by the desire to make amends, Claude resolved to offer a gesture of reconciliation in the form of a gift.

His hand emerged from the sea of jewelry, a finger extending to point at a particular necklace that held his attention captive.

His gaze laid on the necklace which was a stunning masterpiece of silver and sapphire, intricately designed with diamonds that added a celestial touch.

"This one," he murmured, his voice tinged with determination.

The grand duchess, donning an expression of curiosity and amusement, arched an elegant eyebrow in response to Claude's chosen necklace.

Her voice, barely above a whisper, carried a touch of amusement as she offered her observation, seemingly lost in her own thoughts.

"Oh, I somehow presumed that you would choose a ring, considering since..." Her voice trailed off, her eyes momentarily lost in contemplation.

A flicker of annoyance danced in the emperor's eyes as her words reached his ears, piercing through the silence of the room.

The corners of his lips tugged downwards into a subtle frown as he crossed his arms.

"Choosing a ring would lead to misunderstandings, making our situation even more complicated," he explained, his tone unwavering.

♕