36: Seeds of Doubt

(The next chapters, including this, might be fast-paced because I'm starting to run out of ideas 💔)

"Is that so?"

Ergi's amusement danced in his eyes, a faint smirk playing upon his lips as he observed Rashta's nervousness.

Rashta nodded, her gaze fixed on her lap, a mixture of anticipation and anxiety swirling within her.

Ergi blinked, his gaze lingering on her expression, his eyes delving deep into hers.

"Hm," he scoffed lightly, a hint of amusement in his voice. "Isn't that a fortunate turn of events?"

Leaning against the wall, arms crossed, he exuded a nonchalant demeanor, while Rashta perched on a chair, awaiting his response.

"You've always yearned for the opportunity to become an empress, even if it were just for a year," he mused, his finger tapping against his chin.

"A splendid experience awaits you. Perhaps, with your exceptional qualities, you might even secure a permanent position as an empress."

A bead of sweat trickled down Rashta's face as her eyes narrowed ever so slightly, a mix of concern and determination flickering within her.

"Yes, but...I lack experience, and I haven't had the chance to learn about politics," she voiced her apprehensions, her voice tinged with doubt.

Ergi's cunning smile persisted as he tilted his head slightly, still regarding her intently.

"Oh? Is that what troubles you?" he responded, a trace of amusement in his tone.

"Even if it is solely for the sake of your unborn child, I can perceive the emperor's trust in you for this role. I am confident that you will rise to the occasion."

"Really?" she asked, a glimmer of hope igniting within her eyes as she looked up at the duke, seeking validation and reassurance.

Ergi's smile widened subtly, his eyes gleaming with a hidden agenda as he saw the glimmer of hope in Rashta's eyes. He knew he had successfully planted a seed of ambition within her.

"Absolutely," he replied smoothly, his voice laced with an air of confidence. "With my guidance and your determination, you have the potential to excel in this role. Think of the power and influence you can wield as the empress of the Eastern Empire."

Rashta's gaze intensified, her doubts momentarily forgotten as she began to envision herself standing at the pinnacle of the empire.

The prospect of authority and recognition seemed tempting, stirring a newfound fire within her.

"You're right," she murmured, a mixture of determination and excitement evident in her voice. "I will do whatever it takes to prove myself worthy and secure my position as an empress."