28: Successful Recovery

Several days had elapsed, and Psyche's recovery had proven successful, thanks to Navier's diligent care

Despite Sovieshu's resistance, he had no choice but to yield to her determination. Navier made sure to tend to the bird's needs, ensuring its well-being throughout its healing process.

During one such moment, Psyche paused its feasting upon hearing Navier's gentle voice.

"It appears that your wing has fully healed. Will you be able to fly back now?" Navier inquired softly, her voice laced with a hint of hope.

It looked up, meeting her gaze with an air of curiosity. Psyche contemplated her question for a brief moment, then nodded slightly, its beak forming a contented smile.

"Ah, that's reassuring to hear. Would you be kind enough to deliver my letter to the emperor?" Navier replied softly, her smile exuding warmth.

Psyche blinked in surprise, unaware that the empress had long discovered its true identity, as she had refrained from reading their exchange of letters.

Nevertheless, the bird nodded once more, acknowledging its task.

'I hope the trap has been eliminated. I wouldn't want to risk further injury...' Artemis mused silently, though soon realizing the absurdity of such concerns.

'But of course it did. Why would she ask me to fly and deliver the letter if there were still a threat?'

Once Navier had securely wrapped the letter around Psyche's foot, she affectionately kissed the bird's feathery chest, her face alight with delight.

The sudden display of affection caused Psyche to startle and blush furiously, momentarily thrown off balance.

It quickly regained composure and gracefully flew away from the window, its face still tinged with a rosy hue.

Once the bird had soared away from her sight, Sovieshu's voice called out from behind, capturing her attention.

"Must you insist on caring for it? If you desired a pet, you could have requested one, not the messenger bird of that man," Sovieshu remarked firmly, his brow slightly furrowed as he leaned against the doorframe.

His words struck Navier, her smile fading into a solemn expression, her mood dampened.

"Psyche is not a pet. She is simply a bird whom I find companionship with, much like a friend," Navier replied, her tone composed as she turned away from the balcony and began walking.

"Well, shouldn't you atleast thank me, empress?" Sovieshu's retort followed, his voice tinged with exasperation.

Navier's gaze shifted toward Sovieshu, her face now a mask of cold stoicism.

"What is there to be thankful for?" she countered, her words laced with a hint of icy detachment. "I was the one who had to step in and care for her because you refused to listen to me."