42: The Weight of Guilt

The empress fell into a contemplative silence as she read Emperor Claude's inquiry, a solitary bead of sweat tracing a path down her temple

With a composed yet pensive expression, she turned to make her way back into her chambers. However, an instinctive pause overtook her before she fully retreated.

"Chirp?" Psyche let out a puzzled chirp, causing Navier to glance back at the eagle with a soft smile.

"You may enter," she responded gently, allowing Psyche to join her inside. The graceful bird and the empress moved in synchrony as they crossed the threshold and returned to the sanctuary of her room.

Once settled, Navier reached for a quill, its delicate tip poised to inscribe her response to Emperor Claude's question. With utmost care, she penned her words on the parchment.

[Regrettably, I must confess that I have not had the opportunity to set foot in your empire on any other occasion. The time when you extended your invitation for Her Highness' birthday remains the sole instance I have experienced the privilege of visiting your empire.]

Folding the paper meticulously and securing it to Psyche's foot, the empress's thoughts turned to a puzzling encounter she had earlier in the town square. A cloaked figure had passed by her, their eyes bearing a striking resemblance to those of the faithful eagle, Psyche.

A surge of realization and bewilderment coursed through Navier's being. Her eyes widened, mirroring her astonishment.

'The Duchess Artemis... I encountered her during the princess's birthday celebration,' she mused, her gaze narrowing with incredulity.

'Why would the duchess be here? And why is she concealing her identity?' Navier questioned internally, suspicion weaving its tendrils within her thoughts.

Her gaze shifted toward Psyche, her eyes squinting ever so slightly as she observed the bird with a wary curiosity. There was an unspoken query within her expression.

"Do you know the Grand Duchess from Polaris?" she inquired, her voice directed at Psyche. The absurdity of speaking to a bird struck her, yet her curiosity outweighed any reservations.

Psyche's eyes widened in response to the sudden question, a flicker of concern passing across its countenance.

'Does she already...?' Artemis pondered silently, her thoughts trailing off. However, it swiftly shook its head, closing its eyes briefly before reopening them with a mix of concern and composure.

"Alright," Navier murmured in response, her brows slightly furrowed.

She softened her expression, not wishing to impart any distress upon Psyche, acknowledging the gravity of the situation reflected in the eagle's solemn demeanor.

♕