66: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐚𝐲

With a composed demeanor, Navier delicately adjusted her gold bracelet, her gaze serene yet vacant

Unbeknownst to her, she was preparing to meet King Heinrey, unaware of his imminent departure.

'He once seemed so kind,' she mused, a hint of concern shadowing her features. 'What could have spurred his change of heart? I believed that we were close friends.'

A fleeting grimace flickered across her features before she lowered her hand to her side, turning to depart, the echo of her heels resonating against the floor.

'Yet it appears he no longer regards me as a friend due to his disregard for my homeland.'

As she reached for the door handle, a sudden stillness overcame her, her eyes widening as she found herself met with the gaze of the Obelian emperor.

"Your Majesty?" she whispered, her voice betraying a hint of surprise as she instinctively took a step back from the door, her brow furrowing slightly as she observed Claude's unexpected presence at the Trovi manor.

Claude's gaze lingered on her for a moment, an inscrutable expression crossing his features, further unsettling Navier with the growing distance between them.

"Your father granted me permission to see you," he replied tersely, cutting straight to the purpose of his visit, leaving Navier feeling apprehensive and uncertain. "I want to show you something."

"If that is the case, very well," she acquiesced, though a lingering sense of unease lingered beneath her composed facade, her hesitance palpable in the air.

As they traversed the hallways together, Navier couldn't help but notice the presence of numerous Obelian knights, their distinctive brooches catching her attention.

"Aren't they your knights?" she inquired, unable to suppress her curiosity. "What brings so many of them here?"

Navier's brows knitted in curiosity and confusion as she pondered the reason behind the Obelian knights' constant presence.

The emperor, keeping his gaze fixed ahead, refrained from meeting her eyes, wary of revealing too much in his demeanor.

He was mindful not to appear overly eager, unlike Heinrey, whose desperation could jeopardize his own chances. Or does Claude even still have a chance?

"I've brought them here to ensure the security of this estate. Your family consented after I persuaded them," he explained, his tone even and controlled.

Navier halted in her tracks, prompting him to stop as well, his expression remaining stoic as he waited for her reaction.

She regarded him with incredulity, her concern evident in her voice as she questioned the need for such extensive protection.

"But Emperor Claude, they serve you. Their duty should be to protect you, not my family or me," she protested softly, yet he offered no immediate response, leaving a long pause in the air.