Chapter Forty

You gradually regain your strength over the next few hours, drinking more strengthening potions and other suspicious elixirs offered to you by Madam Pomfrey. This morning at dawn, Severus was still sitting by your bedside, holding your hand. When 8 o'clock rolled around, he had given you a sad look, sorry he had to go get ready for his class. "I'll be back around noon, I promise," He says in a gentle, low voice, and Madam Pomfrey looks at you with surprise as he leaves. "You know, I've never seen that man take to a student as much as he has to you. You must've really gave him a scare––he stayed here at your bedside all through the night."

          You blush and look away, wondering if she had seen Severus holding your hand, replying quietly, "Any professor would've done the same." "Any professor but Severus," she corrects, her brow arched. "Alright, one more," she says handing you a small vial of green liquid. Your stomach churns at the sight, but you comply.

          Before class starts, Peter comes into the ward and rushes over to you. "Y/n, you silly git...what have you done this time?" he asks with a concerned but friendly laugh. "Oh, you know me...nearly getting myself killed over a man," You say sarcastically. You both laugh as you explain the situation to him, the whole ordeal sounding rather silly now.

          "Oi, Y/n...I'm sorry you went through that, though. It's understandable that you'd be so upset. You know, I think Professor Snape really is a positive influence in your life. I've known you since year four and have never seen you so happy. Do you think McGonagall will allow the relationship to continue?" You sigh softly, "Honestly, I don't know...but I've decided that if she asks us to keep our distance from one another, I'll respect her wishes. She does know what's best for her students and staff...however, once I'm no longer a student and he's no longer staff, we'll be deciding for ourselves what we want to do."

         Peter smiles gently, "Any idea what that might be?" You blush, a dreamy look in your eye, "You can't tell anyone this...but Sever––Professor Snape..." you laugh, "bought a small cottage on a few acres of land in the English countryside...that's where we went for our holiday, and...he's asked me to come live with him once I graduate," you exhale, so happy to have finally gotten to tell someone. Peter's eyes light up with excitement for you, "Y/n, that's fantastic! Sounds perfect for you, you're a bit of an outdoorsy witch, aren't ya? And the dungeon bat can grow ingredients for his potions."

          You laugh and tell him all about your vacation, how Snape chopped down the perfect Christmas tree for you, watching Die Hard together, and the way he cooked for you. Peter tells you about his time away with Rupert and how they got a little B&B in Inverness, spending the holiday visiting museums, art galleries, and a fair amount of it in a hot tub, ordering plenty of room service.

          "I can't believe we're only talking about this all now," you say contentedly. "Well, to be honest, you've been quite miserable, Y/n. I wasn't gonna talk about my love life while you were unable to have your own," His eyes look at you compassionately. You smile at him, "You really are an excellent friend, Peter," and he finally gets up to head to class. "Good luck with Professor Sunshine," he calls with a smile and a wink as he walks away.

           At lunchtime, Angel, Georgia, and Amy come visit you. "Hey, Y/n!" They coo in greeting and you return a weak smile. "Honestly...what were you doing out there?" You look down at your hands in your lap, wondering how to respond. "Something a bit...upsetting happened and I just wanted to be alone...and I didn't think hypothermia happened unless you were in the North Pole or something," you laugh softly at yourself.

           "Hypothermia? Y/n, you could've died!" says Amy, her eyes filled with worry. "Pretty lucky how Professor Snape knew to find you out there..." Angel says suspiciously. Your heart thuds and you smile, "Oh, well he said he overheard you all talking about me and that you saw me run that way. So I suppose I really have you all to thank," you smile appreciatively, but they don't meet your gaze. Your brow knits together curiously for a moment before you say, "Honestly, the whole thing was quite ridiculous. But I'm feeling much better now."