Chapter Forty-Seven

You and Severus sit in front of the cozy fire and talk, laugh, and scheme together.

          "It was Peter's idea, actually," you were saying. "If he "forgives" me and we "get back together," he thinks the rest of the school will follow suit and drop it. Especially the Quidditch boys." He thinks for a moment, stroking his chin. "That may work...and if necessary, there are other...tactics that can be used." Your eyes narrow on his at that malice-laced threat, giving him a knowing look.

          You take another drink of the wine and offer it to him with a raised brow and a smile, and he hesitates a moment but sees the excitement in your eyes, his gaze softening. He takes a small drink and his face twists into a little grimace that he tries to hide. He smiles tightly and nods at you. "What, is it that bad?" Your brows knit together. He clears his throat and he glances about the room contemplatively for a moment before looking back into your eyes with a serious expression, "Y/n, I'm not sure how to put this, but...have you ever tasted battery acid?"

          You erupt in laughter and he does too, holding you close to him and admiring the way your eyes glimmer in the firelight. "Alright, so it's swill then." You laugh, a bit more uninhibitedly than usual. "Is there a way to improve it with magic?" You lift your wand and raise your brow curiously. He holds up his hand and directs the tip of the wand away from his face, his eyes wide, feigning caution. It makes you laugh again.

          "You know, I was thinking..." you say coyly, "If we get dirt on the ring leader, it might stop it all in one swift blow." Snape's eyes widen as he looks at you, an astonished grin spreading across his handsome face, "You naughty little witch...I'm sure of it now––the Sorting Hat was wrong." His hand slides down your waist and holds you at your hip, bringing your body closer in his lap.

          You laugh and he simpers playfully, "I like this cunning side of you...it's quite alluring..." His eyes fill with hunger and he gently kisses beneath your jaw and up the side of it to your ear where he utters in a low, seductive tone, tickling your skin, "Have I turned my good girl bad?"

          You shiver at the warmth of his breath on your ear, your eyes closing. "Wouldn't be the first time you've dabbled in mischief, now would it?" He nibbles on your ear lobe then kisses down your neck and stops at the place where he bit you, the bruise now a lovely shade of dark purple. His tongue slowly and roughly licks the soft skin there then kisses and sucks it, and you gasp at the sensation, a little moan escaping you.

          He smirks, "Though you're absolute rubbish at seeing people's true intentions." You laugh derisively, "I'm sorry if I assume the best of others. You know, you ought to give it a try," you tease. He cocks a brow, "Now, why would I do that when I can already see them accurately?" "Accurately? You don't think perhaps you're a little critical?" You give him a dubious look. "I am. And that is exactly why I am able to see the true intentions of others. I criticize their character and am able to draw correct assumptions about who they are in doing so."

          "And what if you're wrong?" He furrows his brow and shakes his head, speaking in a very tongue-in-cheek tone, "Oh, I'm never wrong," and winks at you playfully. "Besides...assuming malicious intent is what prepares me to defend the ones I...love." His gaze softens as he looks into your eyes. You blush and smile, but then challenge him, "Don't you think sometimes the way you defend me is a bit...extreme?" 

          He shakes his head and laughs dryly, "You've no idea the amount of restraint I showed. I would've done far...far worse had you not been present and insisted he receive medical attention." He clears his throat and stiffens. You shake your head and exhale in exasperation and his serpentine eyes fix on you, a sly smile filling his expression.