Chapter Fifty-One

The next morning, you head to Transfiguration class for the first of your exams. Your heart flutters nervously in your chest and you try to swallow down the mounting anxiety you feel. Your mind drifts to Severus and you're almost immediately calm. What is it about him that is so grounding?

          You give it your best, and to your relief you actually remember the answers to most of these questions. You're tested on your ability to both transfigure and untransfigure various objects, from household items to small mammals. You breathe a sigh of relief when it's over and you can unclench your jaw and release the tension you didn't realize you were holding in your body. Your shoulders are tight and your head hurts.

          That evening, you make your way down to your favorite thinking spot and gaze into the water. Suddenly you feel a presence behind you, and you turn and see Angel. Her eyes are filled with anxious tears and you search her gaze until she speaks, "Y/n...um. Someone saw us. Saw me." "What? Saw what, Angel?" She pauses a moment, looking at her feet. "Saw me...kiss you." Your heart drops in your stomach, wondering what this will do to both of you. You worry for Angel, but also feel frustrated since your rumors had just died down, and the last thing you need is another cheating-on-Peter story.

          "Who?" Angel's face wears a mixture of shame and anger. "Amy." Your brows raise slightly and your voice is soft, "Oh." Angel takes an exasperated seat on the little bench where you and Severus got very hot that one night...the thought makes you blush as you try to pull your mind to the present. "Well...I know you didn't really want this to come out, but at least it's just Amy, right? She would never judge you, you know that." Angel shakes her head and looks down. "You don't understand, she..." Her voice trails.

          You take a seat next to her and gaze out at the lake. "She um. I sort of...put her through hell when our friend group dissolved. Georgia too, but mostly Amy. I was so angry that they would abandon me over this whole mess and...I guess I went too far one night, with some things I said. She said she'd ruin my life if she ever got the chance and we haven't spoken since. She's made my life hell in the meantime. Like she's trying to get payback for breaking up her and Tom."

          You give her a dubious glance and bite your tongue a moment, but the words burn angrily in your chest so you speak. "Angel, you're telling me you were upset with Georgia and Amy for standing up to you? You punished them the way you punished me. And you broke her and Tom up? What the hell, Angel?" Her eyes flash to yours indignantly and she opens her mouth to speak, but no words come. She looks away and scoffs softly.

          After a few moments of uncomfortable silence, she finally speaks. "I...yeah. Tom came to me one night right before Christmas break to talk about issues he was having with Amy, said he needed advice on how to talk to her. We started drinking. After a few shots of rum he...kissed me. And I let him." She looks down at her trembling hands, "But I swear I broke it off after that. I wasn't even into him, it just made me feel...wanted, I guess." She exhales a heavy sigh, "Eventually I told her what had happened, but not for the right reasons...I was angry at her for leaving and wanted to hurt her." She quickly wipes away a tear rolling down her cheek. "And now she has a weapon she can use any time. And the worst part is, I deserve it." Her voice is quiet. Your mind spins with the information.

          I know I was distracted with Severus, but Jesus...how did I miss all of this? You inhale when you realize you'd been holding your breath as you mulled everything over. "I guess I just...wanted to let you know. There might be another rumor that comes out about you." Your shoulders relax a little and you gaze out at the lake. "Well. There've been so many damaging things said about me this year, it doesn't really matter much if you tack on one more."