Chapter Twenty

Johann walked down the hall to the lab whistling. He hadn't been this happy in a long time. Catalina had promised to talk to Nick about a mission to catch on of the mutants. Then maybe they could get somewhere with this formula.

"Why are you so happy?" Natasha said walking up behind him.

"Does one have to have a reason to be happy?"

"I guess not but I found in my experience that you usually have a reason," she said continuing to walk beside him.

"I guess," he said. "Can I ask you something?"

"Shoot."

"Why did you trust me so quickly? Tony and Bruce have warmed up to me but they don't trust me. That Clint fellow I haven't seen since the meeting. Vision and Scarlet Witch don't say much to me. I haven't even met Thor. The most Captain America says is, 'stay away from my daughter,' and I don't even know what Director Fury and that Falcon fellow think of me."

She didn't answer right away. He waited and thought maybe she didn't want to answer but then she did.

"Because I used to be just like you," she stated. "I worked with the KGB."

"The Russian Secret Police? That has been around since the Nazi Gestapo."

"Well, I was in a different division. I was an assassin. I didn't care who I killed or why. I just did my job. Shield sent Agent Barton to kill me but he gave me a second chance. Since then I have changed and now I fight for good. I didn't think there was such a thing as good until I met the people here," she told him. She turned and looked at him. "This is the exact same thing your going through right now. Your getting a second chance. Don't blow it."

With that she turned and walked the opposite direction.

Well, she is intense. He thought to himself. He continued towards the lab. When he entered he found a much revived Tony and Bruce working.

"Hey, you get some sleep?" Tony shouted.

"A little," he said shrugging.

"Ok so we have put more numbers in and it looks like we might need a tad more Formaldehyde," Bruce said.

"I hate to say this but I'm old and that was discovered after my time," Johann said.

"Is that a fancy way of saying, 'I have no freaking idea what that is,'?" Tony asked.

"I suppose."

" Formaldehyde is used to inactivate bacterial products for toxoid vaccines, (these are vaccines that use an inactive bacterial toxin to produce immunity.) It is also used to kill unwanted viruses and bacteria that might contaminate the vaccine during production. Most formaldehyde is removed from the vaccine before it is packaged," Tony explained.

"Don't feel bad, Johann, he didn't know that till this morning," Bruce said with a exasperated sigh.

"This isn't a vaccine though," Johann said. "Why do we need an antibacterial for something that isn't a vaccine?"

"The mutations can cause toxins. This is just a precaution," Tony said.

"I'm not so sure putting a lot of this in the formula is wise," Johann said.

"It's just a test formula right now," Tony explained.

"Alright but no using it till we find test blood," Johann said.

"Good idea," Bruce affirmed.

"You guys are lame," Tony said.

"It's better than creating something by using to much of something," Johann said pointedly.

"When have I ever done that?" Tony asked incredulously.

"Well, let's see," Bruce began, "there was Ultron and Project-"

"Okay okay I get your point."

"Good morning, Gentleman," Caty sang as she walked in.

"Well, someone is happy," Tony said.

"I'm happy because I get to drag you guys out of the lab to go on a mission with me," she said laughing, "well actually, not you, Bruce."

"Oh don't worry I'm fine with it not being a code green," he said.

"A what?" Johann asked.

"When he gets angry he turns into this," Tony said pulling up a picture on the screen.

"Remind me never to get on your bad side," Johann said gaping at the picture. "

"You don't have to be on my bad side for me to attack you," Bruce said. "I can't control who I'm fighting really."

"Come one guys!"

"You really think your dad is going to let me go on a mission?" Johann asked.

"It's not up to him. It's up to Nick," she giggled.

"Come on let's go," Tony said clicking a button. "Johann, I would duck if I were you."

Johann ducked just in the nick of time because Tony's suit came flying overhead. It built itself up around him and soon he was standing there fully suited.

"Alright, kids, let's go," he said in a robot like voice.

"Excuse me," Johann laughed, "I believe I am old enough to be your great-grandfather."

"Ya ya come on," Tony said, "let's go find one of those mutants."