Chapter Twenty-One

"Tony!"

"I'm on my way."

"Johann give me a boost," Caty yelled.

Johann crouched and Caty jumped onto his shoulders. He heaved and she went flying into the air. Tony flew by and grabbed her wrists flying a short distance from Johann.

"Now!"

Tony let go and she went flying. She twisted heading towards the ground head first. She grabbed a high branch and swung using it to slow her momentum. She began to accelerate again so she grabbed another branch. She repeated this pattern till she found herself right above the alleged Black Death encampment.

"Catalina, are you in position?" Tony asked through her earpiece.

"Ready," Caty whispered.

"Johann?"

"In position," he answered.

"Bro, we really gotta work on fixing that accent," Tony said sarcastically. "I can't take anything you say seriously."

"Not the best time, Tony," Caty whispered.

"Alright, attack!" Tony shouted.

Tony sailed past her hiding spot and straight towards the building. He fired to shots at the ceiling.

"Drat! It's got a forcefield," Tony shouted.

"It's a short range field! That means the generator for it should be somewhere underground if it's not on the surface," Johann informed.

Tony straightened his arm and sent a missile straight into the ground.

"Tony are you trying to kill me?!" Caty asked as the tree she was in shook with the blast.

"No, I'm trying to kill them," he answered.

"Let's not kill her in the process," Johann said.

Tony aimed for the roof again and this time his blast went through.

"All right, Catalina, Johann, she is all yours," Tony said triumphantly, "I'll watch your backs."

"Affirmative."

Caty jumped from her branch and flew towards the roof. She sailed through the hole where Tony had shot it. She hit the ground funny and heard her ankle pop. She gritted her teeth and rolled to soften the fall.

Johann landed beside her with his guns raised. Caty got up and ignored the pain in her ankle.

"Why do we not see anyone," Johann asked.

" I don't know," she whispered. "Not even a deaf person could've missed that

"Stay behind me," Johann said walking slowly forwards. He put one gun away and left the other one slightly in front of him. Caty did the same but walk backwards keeping watch back the way they came. They walked for about twenty minutes but didn't see anything. Caty was beginning to wonder how long this building was when Johann stopped.

"Catalina," Johann whispered, "there is someone or something over there."

"How can we find out what it is," she said quietly. "It's so dark I can't even see my hand an inch from my nose."

"Hand me your little compact mirror."

"How did you know I carried one?"

"Your a woman," he said.

She huffed and handed him the mirror. He took it and opened it. He took out a small light and put so close to the glass it was almost touching. This caused a tiny light beam. It was small enough not to disturb whatever it was but it was big enough to see what it was. He moved slowly towards where he thought he had seen something. Catalina froze when he got to the spot. It was a giant sleeping mutant. Except he didn't look even human; he-or she-or it- looked like more of a monstrous animal than any of the others she had seen.

"I don't think he is the best candidate to try and kidnap," she whispered to Johann.

"He's perfect! He is so mutated we can find out how strong to make the formula."

"Johann, I really don't think-"

She never got the chance to finish. The mutant opened it's eye. They both stood perfectly still not even daring to breath. It scanned the room till it found the light. It sniffed and growled.

"Uh oh. Run!"

Caty and Johann bolted. The huge beast raised itself and roared.

"It's nearly ten feet tall," Caty yelled.

"I don't even know how he survived a mutation that tremendous," Johann yelled back.

"I told you we should have left him alone!"

"Are you really going to pick a fight when we are running for our lives," Johann shouted. He looked behind him and gauged that they had less than thirty seconds before he caught up.

"Tony, we could really use you right now!" Caty screamed into her earpiece.

"I'm a little busy! As soon as you guys left I was ambushed by about twenty of these things," he replied.

"Your going to have to lacerate or incinerate," Johann yelled. "They will survive anything else."

"Good gosh! They're like zombies!" Tony shouted.

Caty kept running but her ankle hurt like hell. She could almost feel it stretching and tearing.

"Catalina, duck!"

She obeyed and it was a good thing. The monster swung a gargantuan hand barely missing her head. Johann pulled out his gun and fired two blasts towards it's eyes. The monster reared back roaring in agony. This gave them enough time to begin running again.

"Catalina, are you hurt?"

"I landed on my ankle funny. I'm not going to be able to run as fast."

"Here," Johann sped up to her and scooped her up. He still maintained the same speed even though he was carrying her. Caty pulled out her guns and fired at the charging mutant.

"Ah! Your going to make me go deaf," Johann said.

"Either that or death," she answered still firing.

"True-"

Johann stumbled. He fought to keep his balance but this gave enough time for the creature to catch up. He heaved Caty away from them and she landed almost one hundred yards away from the creature and Johann. The monster swung his fist at him. He ducked and ran behind the creature. It roared, spun, and raised it's claw again bringing it down on him.

"Johann!" Caty screamed.