Round 1 Results: Romance

Thank you so much for participating in the awards

Thank you so much for participating in the awards. The entries all had something truly unique or special about them. However, there can only be one winner and just like a good steak, our judges must trim the fat.

Below, are the first round results for Romance.

Good luck to those continuing and thank you for your efforts to those who didn't make it through.

Judged by MiniMoxx

Entries that will not be making it through:

Falling by raggety
Title: 4 /5
Cover: 3 /5
Blurb: 6 /10
Hook: 7 /10
Total: 20 /30
Notes: The hook for me is good but could do with a bit of oomph, BUT it starts with characterisation and getting to the meet cute so felt instant. The title felt a bit common, but does suit the story. Cover could suit it better i think but i do like the art.

Fools and Geniuses by k_mathew
Title: 4 /5
Cover: 3 /5
Blurb: 5 /10
Hook: 3 /10
Total: 15 /30
Notes: (no more than 2 or 3 sentences) The cover is very plain, which isn't a bad thing, i just want to know more about the story with it. The blurb has some grammatical errors and feels very long. The first chapter is very hard to read with a lot of dense paragraphing and a lot of back story so to me, there's not much of a hook because the blurb doesn't match up to the first chapter either. It's also a fanfiction so i'm not sure who any of these characters are or how they are relevant - which is given to us in backstory but it's so hard to read as backstory and not the hook.

Living off the Edge by beautifulandmystery
Title: 4 /5
Cover: 3 /5
Blurb: 5 /10
Hook: 1 /10
Total: 13 /30
Notes: (no more than 2 or 3 sentences) The blurb has quite a lot of tense changes: blurbs should be in past tense until the end (which gives off the what happens next idea). The cover is okay - it just feels a little plain to me? The start feels very info-dumpy. And full of "anyway, and then...." and chatty. In any book, the narration isn't chatty like this. Lots of fragmented sentences, and there is no hook. The hook needs to be in the first chapter - and so far there's no meet cute, or mention of the plot. It's just women meeting and sharing news.

KYS by sodapopxtreme
Title: 3 /5
Cover: 3 /5
Blurb: 2 /10
Hook: 7 /10
Total: 15 /30
Notes: (no more than 2 or 3 sentences) The title is strange because its an acronym, I would personally just spell it out. "Kill Yourself" is also 2 words, so it doesn't quite work in my opinion. The cover is good, but it's hard to read and see; could do with some brightening and easier to read smaller fonts. The blurb is full of grammatical errors and awkward sentences so it is hard to understand. It also leaves me a little confused; is this a paranormal soulmate or a mafia story or both? The first chapter has some grammar issues as well, but the hook is there.