Round 2 Results: Romance

Thank you so much for participating in the awards

Thank you so much for participating in the awards. The entries all had something truly unique or special about them. However, there can only be one winner and just like a good steak, our judges must trim the fat.

Below, are the second round results for Romance.

Good luck to those continuing and thank you for your efforts to those who didn't make it through.

Judged by MiniMoxx

ENTRIES NOT GOING THROUGH:

Russian Roulette: Flashbacks by TheAlixDavenport
Character/s intro: 8 /10
Genre fit: 7 /10
Grammar/mechanics: 8 /10
Details: 6.5 /10
TOTAL: 29.5 /40
Comments: The chapters are VERY LONG - which, while not a problem in trad. Publishing, for Wattpad, those will turn a reader off. I personally felt it. Just chopping them specifically for Wattpad is the way to go: even doing chapter 2, part 1 and 2 etc, will make it more user friendly. Some of the lines could be italicised when they're thoughts, and some of them don't quite make sense as lines on their own. A few grammatical issues here and there. The character introductions were good, but I could've done with just a little bit more description, i think. I like the idea of the flashbacks as well, which is the title of the book and premise, so it fits well. I think giving the years etc might also be helpful. Not having the read the first and knowing this is a sequel is giving me a little disadvantage, i know, but it might just help solidify the readers in the time.

PRANK MANIA by cocoamelon23
Character/s intro: 6 /10
Genre fit: 5 /10
Grammar/mechanics: 4 /10
Details: 7 /10
TOTAL: 22 /40
Comments: The chapter feels a bit info dumpy for character intros and little grammatical errors here and there. However the description is quite good of people and situations. The character voices seem well developed so far. Right now, though, I don't see much chemistry unfolding to be romantic, it feels more friend antics, which is fine, but for a romance I'd love MORE chemistry, whether it be lust or deep romantic chemistry.

You-Always by LNRoberts1
Character/s intro: 9 /10
Genre fit: 10/10
Grammar/mechanics: 8/10
Details: 9 /10
TOTAL: 36 /40
COMMENTS: the character intros are done expertly and naturally. It feels immediately like a romance story. There are just a few small grammar hiccups now and again. The details are really well done. In some places I wish there could be a *tad* little more emotions, but thats me being incredibly nitpicky.

Hetty and Ryan by UnbalancedMom333
Character/s intro: 6 /10
Genre fit: 10 /10
Grammar/mechanics: 7 /10
Details: 8 /10
TOTAL: 31 /40
COMMENTS: So I really like the premise of this. I want to get that very very clear. The story itself is intriguing and the characters seem inviting. However, the chapters I read felt a little awkward in places. Now I think that's down to some issues with the grammatical and detailing side. So more of the technical things. Some of the dialogue felt a little repetitive (for example, when everyone greets each other and repeats names) - this could be taken out for simple things like "they greeted each other awkwardly" in the narration kind of thing. Here is a great opportunity to instead get to the emotions of the characters and focus on that, which in a romance novel is the thing readers want most. That said, the details and emotions are filtered in really nicely as we go on, to me, those little awkward moments just take me out of those a little and could be improved on.

A Marriage Most Inconvenient by zeen2805
Character/s intro: 9 /10
Genre fit: 9 /10
Grammar/mechanics: 7 /10
Details: 9 /10
TOTAL: 34 /40
Comment: The characters are introduced really well, and their personalities come across the page immediately. There are some grammatical errors throughout with mainly dialogue/action tags. A few times some of the phrasing feels awkward – i know this is a historical/regency piece, but even given that, a few wordings could be changed perhaps to read better. The details are really well done and i found myself getting straight into this!

ENTRIES GOING THROUGH:

In My Skin by Korra_99
Character/s intro: 10 /10
Genre fit: 10 /10
Grammar/mechanics: 9 /10
Details: 10 /10
TOTAL: 39 /40
COMMENT: The only critical type thing i could see to comment on was a couple of minor grammatical mistakes with ellipsis and a couple of missing commas here and there. Otherwise, i just love this. The intros and details are spot on throughout. The topic you're dealing with (the skin condition) is just handled so so well, and the intricate relationships with everyone are just dealt with so well. The little details you add in with the emotions and awkwardness are just amazingly done as well.

A Dying Man's Wish by HeidiCarroll
Character/s intro: 10/10
Genre fit: 10/10
Grammar/mechanics: 8 /10
Details: 8/10
TOTAL: 38 /40
COMMENT: The character intros in this book are always so smoothly done and always with charm. You always feel the character personality from the very start. The genre fit is perfect for romance. The only thing i did pick up on were a few grammatical errors (nothing major) and i'd just love a couple more emotional internal details

Finding Chef's Kiss by JSPRomComs
Character/s intro: 8 /10
Genre fit: 10 /10
Grammar/mechanics: 10/10
Details: 9/10
TOTAL: 37 /40
COMMENT: The details on the food and internal moments are so perfectly done. It really feels like the author knows her stuff. The only critique i have is in Carter and their relationship, and it's the introduction of it. We don't really get a feeling of how she feels about him other than this annoying gnat (who i wanna punch btw) and it'd be great to have a few moments of "here he goes again" or something like that. I get the feeling as a reader "well why is she with him" as it feels like a job. I'd just love some of that explanation in that 4th chapter i think, or before that to put their problems into perspective. Otherwise *chefs kiss* hehe

Never Summer Again by daniavons
Character/s intro: 10 /10
Genre fit: 10 /10
Grammar/mechanics: 9 /10
Details: 9 /10
TOTAL: 38 /40
COMMENTS: I absolutely LOVE this story. The details are always on point and described perfectly well within the context, the genre fit is perfect. The way you introduce your characters are just always well done. I found a few awkward moments with grammar, all of which were minor. The reason I marked one off details was because a few times there could have been just a little more depth, with some awkward grammatical moments which could be improved. But please know, this story is just epic.

Love Between the Lines by Han_Banana21
Character/s intro: 9 /10
Genre fit: 10 /10
Grammar/mechanics: 9 /10
Details: 9 /10
TOTAL: 37 /40
COMMENTS: The details are superbly done here. You go for all the senses, and in a simple yet really clever way. It feels perfectly in a romance book, and to me it reads like a movie too. A tiny couple of errors with commas in one or two spots. A couple of times I did find myself wanting you to go a tiny bit deeper with a description, but literally what was there was amazing.

Once again, congratulations to all who made it to the third round!

Good luck as you progress!