Round 1 Results: Dark Fantasy

Thank you so much for participating in the awards

Thank you so much for participating in the awards. The entries all had something truly unique or special about them. However, there can only be one winner and just like a good steak, our judges must trim the fat.

Below, are the first round results for Dark Fantasy.

Good luck to those continuing and thank you for your efforts to those who didn't make it through.

Judged by AtheinaVismark

ENTRIES NOT GOING THROUGH:

Starborn by Cosmodeus25
Title: 0/5
Cover: 0/5
Blurb: 0/10
Hook: 0/10
Total: 0/30
Did not complete the assignment even after calling out, only read one chapter out of three even after nudging as reminder.

Me & the Monster by sissymisscece Title: 3/5
Cover: 2/5
Blurb: 3/10
Hook: 7/10
Total: 15/30
The cover really didn't stick out for me, it looks more like a cover you could see on a poster in a club, all those different writings. Honestly I would have taken the background of London away and simply left the two people in the background with the title revised in a different style with dark colours. The blurb here doesn't tell us much, we don't know her name, what she is, anything that could lead someone into picking this book up even if I did like the singular phrases in the blurb. I suggest giving more info without giving too much, dare to spoil things to make us readers intrigued and eager to learn why he wants to kill demons and so on.

Graveyard of Lullabies by jordynsaelor
Title: 5/5
Cover: 4/5
Blurb: 3/10
Hook: 7/10
Total: 18/30
I love the title, not too long and not too short. Cover too is fantastic, I would just align the first part of the cover: "Graveyard of," in the centre to make it more pleasing to the eye. The blurb really can't be considered as such both in terms of length and in terms of information given. Doesn't say anything that would draw a reader in and it's very confusing.

ENTRIES GOING THROUGH:

The Elf Witch by jacquelyngilmore
Title: 3/5
Cover: 5/5
Blurb: 7/10
Hook: 8/10
Total: 23/30
Notes: I love the cover! The colours used drew me in immediately from the start. The title didn't completely win me over though, as if something's missing. Solid blurb that in my personal opinion could be a bit longer while giving more info and the hook is great, straight into the action with an ending leaving me hanging!

Whisper of Blade by MiyaHikari
Title: 4/5
Cover: 5/5
Blurb: 9/10
Hook: 10/10
Total: 28/30
I'm usually not a fan of short blurbs such as this one, but when the author is able to give so much yet at the same time so little then I'm all in for it. Cover and hook are both spectacular and I want to read more.

The Kingmaker by YouCanCallMeCorn
Title: 5/5
Cover: 3/5
Blurb: 7/10
Hook: 9/10
Total: 24/30
The title is simple but super catchy and effective. The cover is incredible but too dark and I can barely make out the words over the main title which is indeed a pity. The blurb is great but it feels like too much information being dumped, some parts could be cut to make it more appealing to the readers. Excellent first chapter as hook.

The Fae Ambassador by philouwrites
Title: 4/5
Cover: 3/5
Blurb: 7/10
Hook: 7/10
Total: 21/30
I really like the title, the cover didn't really capture my gaze though, probably because of the choice of using the Fae script with such vibrant colours over an actual model. The blurb is okay even if I'm not a fan of cursing straight into the blurb. Another thing is a doubt that arises when reading. Are both of her parents dead or only her mother, as the part *that her parents are not...* are or were? As in the blurb is stated that the mother passed away. I did like the hook a lot though, gripping enough to make us want to learn more.

The Great Ellini by obliviablack
Title: 5/5
Cover: 5/5
Blurb: 9/10
Hook: 9/10
Total: 28/30
Title and cover both look amazing, especially the cover which immediately few mr in, the blurb is well written, draws the reader in, each asked question well placed without giving out anything of the actual story. Hook too, was excellent and overall this is a great start.

Blood of the Sin by AliKatMeow
Title: 5/5
Cover: 5/5
Blurb: 8/10
Hook: 9/10
Total: 27/30
I adore both covers of the book, both the WP one and the Tapas one. Title is catchy and fit for the genre. The only thing I would change in the blurb would be separating the introduction of Asher from the final parts of the blurb to make it look a bit cleaner. Loved the opening chapter and can't wait to read more.

The Life of Sorrow by apagado
Title: 3/5
Cover: 4/5
Blurb: 6/10
Hook: 7/10
Total: 21/30
Both title and cover are very pretty, but I feel they would fit more fantasy than dark fantasy with that colour scheme. Blurb is nice but a bit short and doesn't really tell what is going to happen after Everly starts seeing him even if the format used is one of those I like the most. Hook is solid but not completely gripping.

Black Avatare by SuVida777
Title: 5/5
Cover: 5/5
Blurb: 8/10
Hook: 8/10
Total: 26/30
Amazing title and more amazing cover, absolutely stunning with those colours. Great blurb, telling us exactly what exactly is the theme of the book, a retelling of a myth I'd never heard before, leaves some space for readers to imagine what they can expect. Lovely hook with a chilly atmosphere.

The Silvertree by WrenMorgan
Title: 4/5
Cover: 4/5
Blurb: 9/10
Hook:10/10
Total: 27/30
Wonderful start with that first chapter absolutely drew me in from the very start, blurb is excellent and well written as it gives you the perfect number of information a blurb should give, title and cover extremely solid and eye-catching.

Heart on Fire by khionewrites
Title: 4/5
Cover: 5/5
Blurb: 7/10
Hook: 7/10
Total: 23/30
The cover of this story is absolutely magnificent. I love the colour scheme and the placing of the title. The title too in my opinion is a perfect fit after reading about Noami's condition. The blurb is good, but I would revise a bit the ending of it, break it into smaller paragraphs to make it easier for the reader. Good hook and ending to get you into reading the rest of the story.

Once again, congratulations to all who made it to the second round!

Good luck as you progress!