Round 2 Results: Fantasy

Thank you so much for participating in the awards

Thank you so much for participating in the awards. The entries all had something truly unique or special about them. However, there can only be one winner and just like a good steak, our judges must trim the fat.

Below, are the second round results for Fantasy.

Good luck to those continuing and thank you for your efforts to those who didn't make it through.

Judged by eatingher_words 

ENTRIES NOT GOING THROUGH:

CUT FROM A TATTERED CLOTH by KryssaStevenson
Characters/Introduction: 9/10
Genre fit: 10/10
Grammar/Mechanics: 8/10
Details: 8/10
TOTAL: 35/40
Notes: Eijiro is a very unique main character, with skills in sorcery and an immediate desire to end his life. I thought the magic system was excellently executed, and Eijiro's attempt at suicide was shocking. The story promises unique relationships and even more interesting magic – intriguing!

SON OF MAH by Shivran86
Characters/Introduction: 9/10
Genre fit: 8/10
Grammar/Mechanics: 8/10
Details: 8/10
TOTAL: 33/40
Notes: Culturally rich, and intense from the beginning. The writing majestically portrays the bond of two lovers and the challenges that lie ahead.

ON SAPPHIRE WINGS AND JADE SCALES by Nightingale257 
Characters/Introduction: 9/10
Genre fit: 9/10
Grammar/Mechanics: 9/10
Details: 7/10
TOTAL: 34/40
Notes: A cozy, ghibli-esque story! This was quite a wholesome read, with straight-to-the-point descriptions and a cute start to Tomas and Eila's journey.

THE TRAITOR'S GAMBLE by naur_writes 
Characters/Introduction: 9/10
Genre fit: 9/10
Grammar/Mechanics: 8/10
Details: 5/10
TOTAL: 31/40
Notes: I felt the layers of doom as I read this book. Denise is an interesting main character; one with regrets and a unique outlook on her own future. I could've used a bit more grounding descriptions of scenery to pull this together a little better; the MC's mind is interesting, but I feel we are stranded in her thoughts too quickly to observe the world around us.

EPSILON by khionewrites 
Characters/Introduction: 8/10
Genre fit: 5/10
Grammar/Mechanics: 9/10
Details: 9/10
TOTAL: 31/40
Notes: Quite engaging from the start, but really picking up in chapter two. Kyra seems like a typical high school girl with a "boring life" and a craving for parties, something that I think is a little overused. The descriptions of her journey to the party were engaging, though. I hoped for a bit more foreshadowing about the werewolf part of the story, hence the low genre fit score.

ENTRIES GOING THROUGH:

THE GEMINI AGE by Oxviola 
Characters/Introduction: 10/10
Genre fit: 10/10
Grammar/Mechanics: 9/10
Details: 10/10
TOTAL: 39/40
Notes: Right from the beginning, the mystery is set up perfectly. We have an intriguing magical system, intriguing characters, and such beautiful, vivid descriptions. This was a pleasure to read.

THE WITHERED KINGDOM by tpmwrites 
Characters/Introduction: 10/10
Genre fit: 10/10
Grammar/Mechanics: 8/10
Details: 8/10
TOTAL: 36/40
Notes: With smooth transitions between world-building and character banter, this story blends medieval with modern in a charming way. I enjoyed reading the already-established relationships and getting insight into Lorne's goals. A great start.

OF CAVERNS AND CASTERS by avadel
Characters/Introduction: 10/10
Genre fit: 10/10
Grammar/Mechanics: 10/10
Details: 10/10
TOTAL: 40/40

Notes: The perfect blend of intense suspense, magical introduction, and worldbuilding. Quite a captivating read, and extremely polished. Highly engaging.

THE CIRCLE OF THE PAW by MichaelSToledano 
Characters/Introduction: 10/10
Genre fit: 9/10
Grammar/Mechanics: 9/10
Details: 9/10
TOTAL: 37/40
Notes: Very unique, tying in adorable animalistic elements and painting vivid pictures from the POV of a cat and a dog. I found the introductions of characters endearing, especially the different perspectives of Misha and Ahki. I already pity Ahki, and can't wait to see what's in store for him.

THE APPRENTICE AND THE LOST CITY by justalex99 
Characters/Introduction: 10/10
Genre fit: 10/10
Grammar/Mechanics: 9/10
Details: 9/10
TOTAL: 38/40
Notes: Adorable and cozy, with natural introduction of characters and ghibli-esque descriptions. More lighthearted than most fantasies, but definitely a perfect fit for this genre. I'm rooting for Emma!

Once again, congratulations to all who made it to the third round!

Good luck as you progress!