Chapter 36

"Herr Potter," Holmberg placed his wand on Harry's book while everyone else packed up their things, "A word after class, if you don't mind."

"Oh! Er– sure, okay Professor," Harry said, "I have Herbology afterwards, though."

"This won't take long," Holmberg reassured, "And I can write you a note should it become necessary. Come to my desk once you've finished cleaning up. Herr Malfoy– Auf weidersehen." Holmberg nodded in Draco's direction before returning to his desk at the front of the room.

"Auf weidersehen, Professor," Draco replied courteously before turning his attention back to Harry as they cleaned up their flasks and vials, taking his time to pack up his satchel. When they were clearly out of things to do, Draco pulled Harry close and kissed him right in the middle of the classroom.

"Meet me after class?"

"Yes, stop stalling, you'll make us both late," Harry laughed. Was Draco jealous?? Holmberg was admittedly quite handsome, but there are loads of handsome people in the world. There was, on the other hand, only one Draco.

"Come, Herr Potter," Holmberg invited as Draco turned and made his way (slowly) to the door. "I have something to ask you..."

Remembering their conversation from earlier in the year and trying not to get his hopes up too high, Harry went over to Holmberg's desk where several papers lay spread out over it.

"I am beginning to receive applications from different Meister seeking apprentices for next year. There are some whom I believe you would do very well under, should you choose to continue your studies in the art of Zaubertränke, Potion-Making. You will not need to make any final decisions just yet, but if you don't mind, I should like to submit your name and records as a recommendation."

"That– that would be great!" Harry blurted out, "I don't have the greatest grades, though, I don't know if you've seen my marks from earlier years..."

"Yes, I have seen them," Holmberg replied, "And while I see some improvement under your last Professor, Herr Slughorn, most importantly, I see your great improvement from this year. It shows that you are able– and willing– to learn. This is an essential quality as an apprentice Zaubertrankbrauer. The art of Potion-Making is in constant motion, forever changing as time and technology changes, and as such, so must the Meister. The best students are the ones who are willing to be taught, and you, Herr Potter, have more than demonstrated that this year."

Harry couldn't help the flushed grin that spread across his face. The idea that one could become good at something, rather than being mysteriously gifted with supposed talent, was both fascinating and enticing all at once. Past Harry had been good at Defense, so good that words prodigy and genius had been floating around the Auror office, only to be replaced by phrases like "wasted talent" once it became clear that Harry no longer had any interest in pursuing his old dreams. Harry had battled with it all year: When your entire life and identity have revolved around this one thing for so long, what do you have left of yourself when that one thing ends?

The freedom to start something new, apparently.

"Everything alright, Herr Potter?" Holmberg's voice was soft and concerned, "If you need some time to think it over, please let me know. I do not have to submit these recommendations right away, if at all."

"No– I mean, yes, Professor, everything's fine," Harry said quickly, "No, please, go ahead and send in anything you need to. I just– I never thought I'd seriously consider Potions as a career. It wasn't exactly my favorite subject, at least, not until this year." Harry wondered if he'd said too much, but Holmberg just gave him an understanding smile.