Chapter 56

"Harry, I really don't know–"

"Stop second guessing things, it's going to be fine!" Harry insisted, pouring himself another coffee.

"Harry! Why would anyone want to help me of all people!? You didn't tell them what happened, did you...?"

"I mean, I did tell them that you'd been expelled for something that wasn't your fault, but come on Draco, anyone could put that together considering you suddenly stopped showing up to classes!"

Draco looked helplessly over to Hermione, who merely gave him a knowing glance and continued eating her toast: You know he has a point.

"Who... who exactly are we talking about here...?" Draco asked warily.

"Merlin's left nut, Draco, I don't think I've ever seen you like this and I've seen you in just about every situation possibly imaginable."

"Thanks, Harry, that's really encouraging."

"Neville, Luna, and Ginny," Hermione explained patiently. "Draco, we've spent tons of time together–"

"In passing!"

"Draco, look, if you REALLY don't want to do this, I won't make you," Harry said, draining the last of his coffee, "But it'll be good for you. For all of us, really, we all need to study..."

"Harry, come on, we can't be late," Hermione urged, picking up her schoolbag, "Draco, we'll see you at lunch, everything will be fine, just come up to the Room of Requirement and we'll be there, okay?"

Draco had done a lot of difficult things in his life– he'd faced the wrath of his father, witnessed unimaginable and unforgivable crimes, had the impossible demanded of him time and again and always somehow managed to live another day. So what was it about this simple task of meeting up with friends that seemed so damn impossible??

He knew what it was but hated to admit it, even to himself. He was about to return to that goddamn Room and put himself into the debt of three people, three people who owed him nothing.

You can't lose the game if you're not playing it.

At ten to noon, Draco strode up the familiar corridors, fighting down his own debilitating doubt. You've made it this far, haven't you? Take one more step. You can trust Harry. You can trust yourself.

"Draco– Hey, Draco!" Harry came running down the hall, school robes billowing behind him as Draco was suddenly reminded of their childhood. Life had been less complicated back then, but also more. He was glad to be here, whatever "here" was. "Hey, hey, it's okay, I know that look and I know that powerwalk. Come on, come here..."

Harry pulled Draco into his arms, holding him close and safe and secure.

"I'm proud of you," Harry said softly, "We don't have to do anything you're not comfortable with, okay? We're all here to study, and to practice. Alright?"

Draco nodded, not trusting himself to open his mouth. Instead, he grasped Harry's hand tightly, replaced his pride with courage as best he could, and followed Harry through those goddamn doors that he never wanted to see again.

This is where your friend died.

Was he really your friend?

Shut up, it doesn't matter. A person is a person.

"Draco– I'm so glad you came!" Hermione came up to his side and Draco forced himself back to the present. The Room gave no sign of the tragedies it had witnessed last year, although to some extent, Draco found that to be even worse– no memories, no nothing. It was as if Crabbe had never even existed.