Chapter 18

Canada had woken up with a killer headache. He couldn't remember what happened at the bar last night with Germany, and maybe that was a good thing. He got out of the bedroom he had been staying in, to see Ukraine waiting around, humming with a flower in his hands. Canada sighed out of relief, Ukraine was the only person other than his brother who he wanted to see right now.

"Ukraine?" Canada said, walking up to him. It was still pretty early, and if the troop left soon they could make good time, maybe even halfway to Mexico's. Ukraine jumped a little, but laughed and smiled at Canada. "Lord, you tree, you scared me!" Ukraine said, playfully elbowing Canada. Canada just laughed and looked at the flower Ukraine had in his hands. It was red, almost the exact shade of his flag. Canada was going to ask about it, until China showed up.

"Ah, there you are. You and your carelessness yesterday, I couldn't believe you went out drinking! No matter, If we hurry, we can catch the morning train to the Irish Port." China said, rushing Canada. Their horses were still outside, and Ukraine would just ride with Canada. He claimed he didn't need anything, but Canada had him pack a small bag anyway. Germany stopped Canada on his way downstairs. He didn't know what to tell him. "Good luck. When you find him, please tell him to come by." Germany had said. He didn't know who to consult other than America about the information he had gathered. Canada nodded.

~.-.~

As the troop gathered outside, Germany, Monaco, Italy, and a few others came out to say goodbye. Monaco waved Canada over and gave him a hug, before quickly whispering in his ear, "Spain sends his condolences." Canada smiled warmly, and hugged Monaco, thanking her for the message. Ukraine just stood there awkwardly, almost glaring at Monaco. Italy noticed and cleared her throat.

"Bye Canada!" Italy said, hugging him like a mother would. Germany shook Canada's hand and squeezed it tightly. Then they walked over to Ukraine, lecturing him on safety and logic, like a parent would to their child on their first sleepover. Canada could tell that China was a getting impatient, the morning train was the only one with horse-friendly trailers in it. Canada gently rushed the others, and they set off on their trip.

Ukraine was reading a book, he had settled behind Canada on the horse and seemed quite comfortable and distracted. China took this opportunity to ride alongside Canada. "So, how are you holding up?" China asked, almost in a whisper. Canada raised his eyebrows, but nodded. "I'm doing okay." He responded, keeping his eyes ahead. "And you?" Canada asked hesitantly. China sighed and chuckled. "I've been holding up." Canada much preferred this side of China rather than the one that was odd and creepy. The only problem was that he couldn't tell which side of him was real.

Ukraine looked through their book, which happened to be a flower guide, and was mentally taking note of each flower he could identify. In some cases, he even leaned forward or backward to pick them and slipped them in his book. He saw multiple flowers, but one that stood out was one he had never seen before. It had the colors of his brother, Russia's, flag in a very particular pattern. Ukraine stared at it until it was too far away. He felt a connection to the flower, like it meant something important. Canada notices his behavior and asked if he was okay. Ukraine didn't answer.

~.-.~

The troop had finally made it to the train station, and just in time as well. They took their horses to the traliers and the men of the group boarded the train. China, Canada, and Ukraine all sat in a booth. Ukraine stared out the window, trying to figure out what that flower could mean. He knew it wasn't something to pass along, he had always had a very reliable gut feeling and a weird talent to connect with the land. It wasn't uncommon for it to try and communicate with him, it was like his brothers connection to the snow and the sun, and his sisters connection to the wind. Canada watched Ukraine wearily. China cleared his throat.