Chapter 2: Awakening

The game was back and forth. Both defenses couldn't do anything. It was Reo to Nagi and Jack to Joey. The game plan for Hakuho was quite simple. Have everyone support Reo to midfield before Reo sends a pass to Nagi. It sounded simple to stop, but Nagi was too strong. He could trap with his foot or back to end it with a beautiful roulette volley or stunning heel kick. He had unlimited options. However, Joey and the rest of the team didn't go into halftime defeat. No, they were fired up. In terms of geniuses, he was one of the best in Japan. His dribbling skills were off the chart, and his playmaking IQ led to easy goals. Sae has his Perfect Kick Technique, and Noa has his Supreme Physicality giving him unlimited options, but Joey has his Curve Manipulation. His unique ability allows him to bend and manipulate the ball however he wants. Going into halftime, the score was 5-7. Nagi scored five goals, and Reo scored two. On the other side, Joey had scored three, a hat trick, and Jack the other two goals. 

The biggest props had to be given to Zach. Despite getting scored on seven times, he had stopped nearly 15 shots at goal. Five of them were shot by Nagi. He had yet to figure out Nagi's scoring mechanic, but he somewhat understood it. He just guarded the most challenging places to score. Only one player walked into the locker room defeated. That was (Y/N). (Y/N)'s parents always told him that hard work and training would outshine talent, but what now? Nagi had just started soccer, while (Y/N) had been training for years, even if he didn't enjoy it. In fact, (Y/N) could see just how large the gap in skill between him and Nagi had. But it wasn't the difference in skill that pissed him off. No, it was Nagi's attitude. After every goal, Nagi would go to Reo and say to him the same damn question. "Soccer's boring. How many more goals do I need before I can play video games."

(Y/N) had been struggling to keep up with Nagi, let alone slow him down, and Nagi only thought of this game as a hindrance to his gaming time.

"All right, we've done well! Keep this up. Zach is slowly figuring out Nagi, and we've done an excellent job limiting Reo. They might be monsters, but we're monster slayers. After all, we've got to make history!"

The team gave a cheer and returned to the field to practice before halftime was over. Joey gave (Y/N) a pat on the back before cheering him up.

"Hey, I know you're bummed out, but you've done a great job slowing down Nagi. I-No, We, the team, need you out there." (Y/N) didn't respond. Joey gave him a small smile before taking a seat next to him. "Hey...I have to tell you something."

"..."

"Win or lose this game. I'm leaving Japan."

(Y/N)'s eyes shot to Joey. "What do you mean you're leaving Japan?"

"The Royal Youth Team offered me a spot on their team for the rest of high school. I'll get a chance to play alongside Itoshi Sae. That's why I want to win this game. So that our names will be engraved in this school."

"But what about after this game? What happens to us then?! You said we'd be the best duo, striker, and midfielder!"

"And we will. I'll return from Spain, and we'll represent Japan in the World Cup. We'll join the same club and be the best duo the world has ever seen! This is just one step closer to our dre-"

"That's bullshit!"

"Huh."

"That's fucking bullshit. This is one step closer to your dream. Not mine. We made that promise to be the best duo in first grade when we first started playing soccer." (Y/N) grabbed Joey by the collar of his jersey and lifted him towards. "If you leave, who will pick me up to play soccer? I'm a below-par player, and I'm not even a striker. I'm a fucking fullback that can't do his job right!"

The two stood silently before Joey slapped (Y/N)'s hand off his jersey. He gave a cold stare at (Y/N). "Fine, you want the truth? You fucking suck; you're nothing to me. I stayed here for a chance to see you improve. But all that training and work to see you that you're still worth nothing. You've made no contribution to this team. Nagi has scored five goals while you've guarded him. Every time he scores one, I have to answer back! You never had my back! You can fuck off and sit on the bench, you fucking donkey!"