Chapter 15: A Red Princess

"Kuon. Are you...betraying us?" Before Kuon could answer, the twins appeared behind Isagi.

betraying us?" Before Kuon could answer, the twins appeared behind Isagi

"Bingo! They figured it out, so you might as well come clean, Kuon. Your tactics, weapons, and weaknesses... Literally, everything was leaked to us. You sneaked out during your team meeting last night to propose this plan, didn't you?" Keisuke said.

Team Z was shocked. Isagi couldn't believe it.

"This game is ours! That's what we're saying."

Raichi lifted Kuon by his jersey. "This is bullshit! I'll kill you! What the hell were you thinking, huh?" 

"I'm just doing my best to survive in Blue Lock."

"Yellow card to Jingo Raichi. Return to your half immediately and resume the game," the speakers blared.

"How can I? I can't play under these conditions!"

"If we lose, we're done! What's the point of trying to lose on purpose?" Igaguri shouted.

"You're the dumb ones. Only you guys will be going home if we lose. I will survive here alone," Kuon responded. Kuon then passed the ball to Keisuke, who thanked him. "From here on out, we're playing 12-on-9."

"Kuon... But why?" Isagi asked as he ran beside Kuon,

"When your last-minute goal won our last game, it got me thinking. If we're always going to be walking a tightrope like that, the chances of this team surviving this tournament are slim. According to the chart, our final opponent is Team V, the only team with two wins in our group. They beat Team Y 8-0, but we struggled badly against them. There's no way we can beat them. So I decided to give up on winning as a team and focus on moving up alone," Kuon explained.

"Alone?"

"Oh, come on now. Have you forgotten? When this first selection started, Ego mentioned a special rule. Even if your team isn't one of the top two teams, you get to proceed to the next selection if you are your team's top scorer. So I made a deal. I promised to give Team W info on us and let them have the three points for the win if they let me score three goals. That way, I'm the top scorer on this team, and I can advance."

"You... So fighting together up to now has meant nothing? You said we'd win together!"

"Thank you, Isagi. I'm glad you're so stupid. Stop being naive. This is Blue Lock. We don't need 'bonds' or 'teamwork.' What you need is enough ego to win. Yup. 'If you need to betray people to win, do it.' That's what my ego says." Kuon passes to Keisuke, and the boy scores easily. "Thanks for the help...Team Z."

Chigiri watches in worry. 

"You won't get away with this! I'll kill you, Kuon!" Raichi yells as Kunigami tries to hold him back.

"Cool it, Raichi. Do you want a red card?"

"What are we going to do? It's 12-on-9 now," says Igaguri.