Chapter 31: Equalizer

"With a goal from Sae Itoshi, Japan's U-20 representatives seize the initiative!" Tereasa announces. "This packed stadium is on its feet!"

"Ah, Ha Ha! Sae Itoshi really is a prodigy!" says Natsuki. "It's the debut of a genius!"

"This is Sae Itoshi's true power! Today, all of us might witness the birth of a hero!!"

Sae's teammates run over to him, but as one attempts to touch him, Sae slaps his hand away. "Don't touch me, you bunglers. Three times." The team looks confused as he continues. "That's how many times I could've taken a shot. But I held back and shaved off some of my time to give it to you guys. You trash missed a chance that even a monkey could've scored on. So I got pissed off and took the shot myself."

Sendou grunted and gritted his teeth. "Monkeys...Trash..."

Before he could retaliate, Aiku spoke up. "Now, now...Their goalie has some skills, too, though.

"Huh? A striker has no value aside from scoring goals. Anyone with lower scoring power than a midfielder like me...doesn't deserve to be called a striker."

"You're a harsh one, prodigy-kun. In that case, how many 'Strikers' are there in Japan?"

"We're playing in this match to find out. Don't let it happen again, you lemurs."

Sendou gritted his teeth again as Aiku threw his arm around Sendou's shoulder. "There, there...We're just getting started, Sendou. Don't miss another chance."

"Right, Aiku U-20 is my team."

(Y/N) looked toward the sky, pondering. "Should I have dropped back? That way, we could've stopped some of Sae's advances and passing paths. But if we countered, our formation would be broken, and I wouldn't have the stamina to keep up. Hmm...I guess I gotta trust my defense then."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the Blue Lock Sideline

Ego is seen sitting as Anri holds her tablet. "The strategy we practiced during the final training camp...isn't working effectively...Is this okay, Ego-san?"

"Well, it's to be expected."

"Huh?!"

"I mean, practice is just practice, Anri-chan. Ultimately, what's needed for practice is just executing techniques without stress," Ego informs. "It's the same wherever you go. There are people who can produce incredible results while practicing...But can't quite pull it off when it comes to the actual performance."

"Oh...I've experienced that myself. Like messing up at a piano recital."

"Right. The main difference between practice and a performance is...stress. The venue, one's opponent, one's own physical condition, mental changes, stiff muscles, mental stagnation...a performance is filled to the brim with factors that can cause a negative spiral. Things never go as you practiced them. There's only one way to break through that sort of stress ad-libbing."

"Huh?! You won't give them any kind of direction?! You can't just sit there and watch..."

"Shut up and trust them. Our little egoists...are strong at performances."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the frontline moves up, Rin passes to Isagi to restart the game. Isagi takes a glance at Aiku, before passing back to Rin. Rin is met with Itsuki Wakatsuki (U-20's defensive midfielder). Isagi overlaps Rin as the latter passes to the former, easily blowing past Wakatsuki. Haru Hayate (U-20 defensive midfielder) comes to help, as Isagi gives a pass between the two of them to Rin. Isagi overlaps again, making him hard to read. With the hesitance, Rin performs a heel pass to Bachira.

Isagi and Rin run forward, with Hayate following them and Wakatsuki staying put. (Y/N) is seen covered by Niou and Aiku as Isagi and Rin off in opposite directions. Understanding the situation, (Y/N) stops Niou from moving as Aiku follows Isagi. Bachira smirks before performing a curved pass to Rin's feet.

"Rin Itoshi has broken through the goal box!" shouts Tereasa.

Gen Fukaku (U-20's goalkeeper) gets ready for the shoot, only to see Rin run toward the byline. He suddenly stops and loads up his non-dominant left foot. He tries to copy Sae's shot, but Fukaku gets his fingertips on it. The slight touch makes the ball hit off the right side goalpost, but is quickly picked up by Yukimiya. Neru comes to guard again. However, Isagi overlaps with Yukimiya, grabbing Neru's attention and allowing Yukimiya to dribble up before launching a curved shot to the top right corner. Aiku comes out of nowhere, blocking the kick before it reaches the net. 

Niou calls for Darai to clear it as the former nods. Unfortunately for Darai, that gave (Y/N) the perfect opportunity to get in Darai's blind spot. Darai tried to take a glance back to check (Y/N)'s position before hearing, "This one's mine." Quickly rushing right, Darai tries to stop him, but (Y/N) pushes forward, launching a straight shot to the top right. A loud scream comes from Niou as he jumps in front of the ball.

 A loud scream comes from Niou as he jumps in front of the ball

"Shit! Second Ball!" yells (Y/N).

The ball pops up as Isagi calls out to Nagi. Hayate and Wakaysuki try to close the open space. As the ball falls, Nagi performs a rapid hold, then a tap lift, before doing a jumping turn. He brings his leg back before whispering, "Nice to meet you, Japan..."

"My name is Seishiro Nagi!" 

Fukako jumps to the top right, attempting to block the shoot, but it's just out of reach as he scores the equalizing goal and Blue Lock's first goal in front of a stage. Anri, the JFU officials, and the crowd look shocked as Nagi falls on his back. The crowd explodes in cheers as the Niou scoffs, Neru is shocked, Darai gives a compliment, and Aiku is intrigued. "I see...You're all just thinking about goals, huh...So this is Blue Lock...Once you get locked in...You're insanely destructive."

Nagi sits criss-cross on the field before throwing his arm up.