Chapter 5: Blue Lock

"So what do you say (Y/N)? Do you want to join us?"

Joey observed as (Y/N) pondered. 'Join them at nationals?' It was an achievement to even go to nationals, but now we got a formal invitation from an undefeated team. If Nagi and (Y/N) teamed up and played left and right-wing, Reo was convinced there was no defense capable of stopping them. However, Reo and Nagi's disappointment and Joey's shock (Y/N) declined.

"Huh? Why?" asked Nagi.

"It's not fair. I lost fair and square. I would love to go to nationals, but this proved that I must improve to compete at that level. Also, I have a sense of morals. However, if you guys are offering next year, I'll love to join the Hakuho soccer club as a member. That is, of course, if you don't give me any special treatment. Like every other member, I'll work my way up to a starting job.

Reo and Joey smiled. "Well then, Mr. Hidden Genius, we'll send an invite to you next year. Don't let us down. Not many people draw Nagi's attention."

Joey smiled at (Y/N), putting his fist out. No words were exchanged, but it was as if they could read each other's minds. (Y/N) returned the gesture as the two stared into the distance. This was the last game they would play together for a long time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Y/N) walked home alone. It was the first time in years he had done this. Memories flowed through his mind. He saw visions of how he and Joey had walked these roads and practiced soccer. He was alone. He didn't know when he would see Joey again. He passed an elderly couple who stared at the river. He proceeded to pass two kids playing soccer by themselves. They seemed to be having fun, pretending to pass to each other in the world cup and scoring the winning goal. Perhaps that's what (Y/N) wanted. Not a win in the world cup, but a win today. As he continued to watch them play, he teared up. Taking his glove, he threw it in the river before throwing his jersey into the ground. He remembered what his coach told the team after the game. 

"I want to thank you guys for this season...I'll miss this team. We were close to making history...I want to say sorry to the seniors who are leaving. We were unable to cement your history. Unfortunately, Joey will be leaving our team next year to play in Spain. We'll look closely at people who work hard and can step up. I can say this. This soccer team is the best this school will ever produce." The coach started crying as he croaked out his finishing lines. "I'm confident we will grow from this loss. Remember...there's always next year."

The team cried as (Y/N) kept a cold expression. He thought about the last play. Could they have won if he had passed to Jack? It doesn't matter. They lost, and there was nothing he could change. They weren't the best team in Japan, let alone the best team in the school's history. Sure, they almost went undefeated, but they lost in the national qualifying game. The school had produced teams that won nationals. It was frustrating.

(Y/N) looked at his jersey before screaming. Suddenly a voice spoke up. "I should've known you were gonna be here." (Y/N) turned around to see Joey standing behind him. "It's frustrating right?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The two sat in silence for a while before Joey spoke up. "I guess you did like soccer."

"Yeah..."

Joey pulled out a pair of pink and yellow cleats and one all-black glove with a gem design in the middle. "Here."

"What's all of this for?"

"Well, I thought it would be cool if we had mismatched cleats. I got you a glove too...Since you know...Your other one is gone." The two shared a laugh. Suddenly Joey pulled out a letter.