Chapter 27: Conditions

Isagi grins and grips his hand in excitement. (Y/N) takes a glance at the remaining players unchosen, his eyes fall on one player shaking in anger...Barou.

"A question, Ego-san," Yukimiya asks with a hand raised

"A question, Ego-san," Yukimiya asks with a hand raised. "Why isn't Shidou-san part of the team? He scored plenty of goals, and he's ranked as number two, right?"

"Yeah...good question. Ryusei Shidou scored an average of two goals a game during the tryouts...And displayed an ability as a striker that's second only to Rin Itoshi. His behavior off the field is unpardonable...But regardless, there's no denying the reality of his personal abilities and capacity to score. However, during the tryouts, all his goals were due to his individual skills. In other words, he was never once able to produce a chemical reaction with Rin Itoshi. His violence at the end of the selection...if he pulled something like that during the U-20 game, he would instantly be hit with a red card and give us an overwhelming disadvantage. For those reasons...I decided that Shidou and Rin must never share the same field. And above all, only one of you has been able to handle the egoist Ryusei Shidou. Someone who was able to grasp his thinking and work to lift his plays to a higher level was you. (Y/N) (L/N). During the second selection, your ability to play anywhere on the field and give perfectly executed passes worked in Shidou's favor; however, having a team fit around Rin is much more advantageous. Rin has a better chemical reaction with multiple players, so seeing (Y/N)'s skill fit with Shidou should translate to equal skill for Rin."

"It would be a waste to throw Shidou's ability out, though," (Y/N) brings up.

"Right. So, when this team encounters a dilemma, Ryusei Shidou would swap in for Rin Itoshi as a joker. As a powerful injection that could instantly change the flow of a game...I would switch him in for Rin Itoshi in case of a dire situation."

"I see," Yukimiya states.

"That was my intent...But just after I decided on this lineup...I received a phone call. It was President Buratsuta of the JFU. And he said...that Sae Itoshi was dissatisfied with the forwards on the Japanese U-20 team. If we didn't submit to Sae Itoshi's conditions, then he threatened to call off the game since no one would watch...and thereby cosign Blue Lock to utter oblivion. Sae's condition was that he wanted to be able to take any player he wanted from Blue Lock and add them to the U-20 team..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three hours earlier

Shidou is seen in a straight jacket and tied to a stroller, which is bolted to the middle of a heavily locked room. He slowly wakes up before rattling his stroller. "Lemme out, you damn Four-Eyes! I won't hit anybody else."

Hearing no response, he suddenly gets aggravated and shouts, "Are you listening?! I'll Kill You! Fuck! Fucker!! Fuckest!!!"

The door slowly opens as Sae Itoshi walks in with Anri Teieri from behind. "Yo...Devil-kun."

"Who the hell are you?"

"This cage is too small for you, right?"

"Huh?"

"I'll...set you free. I want your ego. Go Berserk for me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sae Itoshi didn't choose any of you here...He chose Ryusei Shidou," Ego informs.

"For real?" Igaguri questions. "Then Shidou..." 

"...will fight you...as a Japanese U-20 representative. Well, in any case...whether it was Rin Itoshi's team or Ryusei Shidou's team...I only had those two choices for Team Blue Lock. Compared to Rin Itoshi's individual skills...which incorporated his surroundings to produce synergy...Ryusei Shidou made no effort to coordinate with anyone. He's a self-sufficient player—two players with similar individual skills, but completely different varieties of egotism. I chose Rin Itoshi, and Sae chose Ryusei Shidou. Which of these was the correct choice? That answer will be revealed...15 days from now, in front of the entire country. And...we're able to register 23 players on our roster. I've yet to decide on the 12 non-starters...so those of you who weren't chosen...will make a case for yourself to seize those spots. This concludes the lineup announcement. Losing this means the end of Blue Lock...as well as the end of your soccer careers. Only 15 days remain. During that time, I will administer training to forge you into a battle group...that's able to pulverize the U-20 team and seize victory. Put everything on the line, you lumps of talent. Failure is not permitted in the days to come."

"That's Luke-warm four eyes. To me...this match is just a checkpoint on my way to becoming the best in the world," Rin states.

"Oh?"

"Totally. We've been gambling our lives ever since we first showed up here," Bachira adds.

"For real. I'm not gonna wuss out now," Karasu states.

"I'm gettin' stoked," Nagi says.

"I suppose I'm excited," Yukimiya adds.

Ego smirks, "That's the ego I want to see, Blue Lock 11. The final training camp is about to begin."

"Hold on," (Y/N) says, grabbing everyone's attention. "You said Sae had conditions. What was the other one?"

"Oh...the other was to invite someone from Royale."

"Wouldn't that be unfair?" Igaguri questions. "The stipulation was already established that only Japanese players could play."

"That player is Japanese..."

(Y/N) eyes go wide as he starts to breathe a bit heavily. "No. It can't be."

"(Y/N)?" Isagi asks as he stops him from falling. "Are you okay?"

Ego clicks his tablet as one player shows up. "Japan's rising star and the former Ace of Hiryū High School...Joesph will be playing on the U-20 team."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a plane

Joey thanks the flight attendant before staring at the clouds. "Well, I couldn't refuse since they said we would be facing Blue Lock." He smirks as his aura pours out. "Let's see just how much better you've become (Y/N)!"