Introduction

Nothing was more shameful to the Romano's than non magical blood. The lineage of the Romano name went back centuries within wizard-kind. Descendants that held the title were often successful aurors or ministers within the ministry of magic. Now imagine the surprise when the minister of magic himself, Alessandro Romano, found out that his daughter Gianna was a squib.
On her 11th birthday Gianna had gotten up early to await the owls bringing her Hogwarts letter. It was the greatest anticipation of her life. Her mother, Isabel Romano, a busy socialite who never touched her wand except to organise her dinner parties, had bragged about Gianna's acceptance before it had come to anyone who would listen. But when it didn't her parents turned their nose up at her. Because as far as they were concerned, a non-magical child was just as bad as one who didn't have magical parents.

So for years in place of her time at Hogwarts, Gianna attended a small Italian private school with a borrowed wand to hone any sort of magical power she did have. Her magic was weak and unassuming that was until her 15th birthday, a tawny owl arrived at their doorstep.

"Master Gianna." Eve, the Romano family house elf, called to Gia from the Foyer. "You've received a letter." Eve informed her. Gianna poked her head above her quills her eyes bloodshot and her hands aching from her school work. Gianna had engulfed herself within her work as of late. Over the past few years studying at Stregone, she steadily had been increasing her wandwork skills. Although this meant she was not a squib, like her family originally had thought, she had only just as much training as a first year. Since her magical skills were so far behind, and her magic hadn't come in until she was half a decade into her teens.

"A letter?" Gianna responded pushing herself off her desk and running towards Eve's voice in the Foyer. Eve held out her hands and smiled at Gianna. "Eve thinks Master Gianna should be most proud." The house elf encouraged as Gianna took the envelope from her hands. Gianna's mouth became agape as she ran her fingers over the waxy Hogwarts emblem that enclosed its contents. "Eve? You don't think this is what I think this is?" Gianna questioned her voice raising with excitement. Eve nodded. "Yes Master I do. Eve is very proud of Gianna's hard work. Gianna deserves it."

Gianna thumbed over the wax and broke the seal between it and the envelope. "Dear Miss Romano, we are pleased to inform you you have been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry as a fifth year student!" Gia could hardly believe it. She bent down to hug Eve which surprised her since Gia is normally so proper around her parents.

Gianna continued to read the letter. "Given your unusual circumstance of attending Hogwarts in your fifth year. Professor Eleazar Fig has been asked to train you before your first day of classes on September 1st to catch you up to the other fifth years. Some supplies have been collected on your behalf and then rest will be collected at Hogsmeade pending your arrival. Sincerely, Professor Weasley." Gianna finishes her mouth completely open with her hand over her lips. Admitted as a fifth year? Training before she begins at Hogwarts? She could hardly believe it. The occurrence of such is insanely rare and has only been recorded once in Hogwarts history.

It was an overwhelming feeling of hard work that had significantly paid off for years and a sense of impending wonder of the people she would meet, the adventures she'd go on, and the things she'd learn once inside the Hogwarts gates. She thought of how proud her parents might be or feint to be when she told them the news. Knowing that now they needn't have to lie on behalf of their reputation about the magical status of their own daughter. Gianna felt a sense of pride knowing she could rub their noses in it something she loved doing especially to her mother.

Now it was only a waiting game, for the day that Professor Eleazar Fig, came to fetch her for training.
Something Gianna simply couldn't break the anticipation of.