Chapter Three

A week went past accompanied by a sharp cold front.  Many of the students had bundled up with scarves and gloves on top of their usual attire. Gianna wasn't used to the cold since her estate back home resided near the coast so she did not welcome the weather like some of her classmates.

In the last week things had gotten better between her and Ominis since their reconciliation in the common room. Their encounters by no means were warm and friendly but they would make the effort to greet each other if they bumped into one another in the corridors. The frequency of this had increased considering how often Gianna and Sebastian spent time together outside of classes. Ominis often tagged along with them now and became a consistent member of their outings. Sebastian of course was the leader/commander of their mischief, Gianna played the role of the supporter who enabled his sometimes baseless ideas, and Ominis often scolded them for being so reckless afterwards.

Sebastian's most recent plot required needing to break into the restricted section for a book he needed for some research he refused to elaborate on. This worked out perfectly for Gianna since she needed the book for a task Professor Fig had asked of her. Gianna ;however, did not accept without extorting a bribery from Sebastian first; his collection of chocolate frogs. What Sebastian didn't know wouldn't hurt him. Ominis was less enthralled to join them. After a hefty lecture from him though he came along as he always does. According to Ominis he had to, to 'make sure they didn't do anything incredibly stupid.'

Ominis ended up being a great asset to their shenanigans. He was able to whisper warnings when he heard someone coming before Sebastian or Gianna noticed. The entourage had nearly gotten in trouble with Peeves and the librarian and they would have if it weren't for a very worried Ominis's warnings. Sebastian vowed to bring him along for more of his 'after hours missions.' Ominis didn't seem to like that.

When Gianna wasn't with Ominis or Sebastian she was with Natty and Poppy. Poppy had introduced Gianna to Natty earlier that week. Natty was outgoing and the sort of person you wanted around when you wanted a good laugh. She was also charismatic and could befriend anyone. Poppy was the same way. She was very charming and had a genuine kindness about her. It was all of this and the fact the girls bonded over a bit of Hogwarts gossip and some Butterbeer that the trio had all grown very close rather quickly.

That morning in particular Gianna received an owl from Natty inviting her to the Three Broomsticks for Fish & Chips and Butterbeer. An offer Gianna simply couldn't refuse. When they arrived Sirona called out to Gianna by name. "If it ain't the Troll slayer herself. What an honor." Sirona praised with a smile. "You're still the talk of the town you know." Gianna grinned sheepishly. Somewhat shy about the praise she was receiving."Hi Sirona how are things?" Gianna asked changing the subject. "Oh hell, those ashwinders are in and out these days." Sirona answered her muttering to herself. She leaned over the bar and dropped her voice so only Poppy, Gianna, and Natty could hear her. The jaunty tune inside the pub was just loud enough so the patrons couldn't hear Sirona's lowered voice. "Between you and me I would think they were looking for something. I've heard your name around here. From bad people. You wouldn't be in some sort of trouble are you?" Sirona questioned her as she picked up an empty mug and begin cleaning it with a dish rag.

"Not all." Gianna grinned cheekily. Sirona shook her head. "I would hope you aren't. You're awfully young. Those ashwinders are dangerous." Sirona lectured. Gianna of course had been involved in something dangerous. Between Keepers, Poachers, Rookwood, Ranrok, and the Creatures around the castle she had had her fair share of danger. But Sirona's tone was serious with eyes as stern as a mother's. "Yes of course Sirona. I understand." Gianna responded. Both Poppy and Natty seemed amazed at what Sirona was saying. A troll and ashwinders?? The pair was sure to interrogate her further once Sirona had left.

"Good. Now what can I get you kids?" Sirona's eyes softened and flashed a genuine amusement to them.
"Three butterbeers please. " Natty chimed in. "And some fish and chips!" Poppy echoed. Sirona nodded and went off to grab three mugs from the cabinet. Gianna watched her take the frosty mugs and add a spiral of caramel drizzle to the bottom's of them. Then Sirona walked over to the tap to fill them up.

The second she walked away Natty playfully swatted Gianna's forearm. "A troll? Are you nuts?" Natty asked rhetorically. Although Gianna could tell there was a glimmer of curiosity behind her eyes. Poppy spoke this time."How did you get in bad graces with," she paused lowering her voice like Sirona had. "Ashwinders?" She finished. Just then Sirona came back with a delectable looking Butterbeer for each of them and a hot plate of fish and chips. Gianna leaned over the counter to hand Sirona a sufficient amount of galleons. The pair looked at her expectantly as they awaited her answer.

"It's nothing really! " Gianna minimialized taking a swig of butterbeer. It was cool and refreshing with a hint of caramel and butterscotch. It hit Gianna's tounge with a blissfully sweet taste.

"If you expect me to believe that you are full of it." Natty chastised. "At least come up with a more convincing lie if you are going to blow us off." Gianna sighed loudly and set her mug on the counter and told them everything. The ancient magic, Gringotts, and Ranrok. When she was done the girls mouths were open widely food in hand like they had listened to the finest gossip in town.

"You're serious? That's mental." Natty bellowed causing Poppy and Gianna to shush her. Poppy frowned. "I'm concerned. That sounds like an awfully lot of trouble for one witch. Are you sure you've thought all of it through?" Gianna cocked a brow. "What do you mean?" Gianna asked in confusion looking between Natty and Poppy.

The two exchanged looks. Poppy opened her mouth unsurely. "I just mean between all the adventures you do outside of the castle and catching up as a fifth year.." Poppy trailed off. "You already encourage a lot of danger and Natty and I worry that. Maybe you hang out with some of the wrong people." Poppy finished. Although Gianna felt like the message was still unclear. She leaned back in the stool she was in. "Meaning..?" Natty seemed to pick up for Poppy speaking next. "We've seen you hang out with Sebastian and Ominis a lot lately."

This caught Gianna off guard. "Yeah? So?" She genuinely didn't see where the conversation was headed. Poppy and Natty exchanged looks again. "We've heard things about Ominis Gaunt. I think he's interested in dark magic." Natty explained. Ominis? Interested in dark magic? Gianna had only been on positive speaking terms with him for a week and didn't know Ominis well enough at all to comment on this. But Ominis? Gianna wasn't sure if she believed it. She hadn't seen Ominis as anything other than her annoying friend's best friend.

"Really? Ominis? Are you sure?" Gianna asked in disbelief. "He just seems so...I don't know?" Gianna frowned. "Harmless?" She continued crossing her arms. Ominis spent most of the time when hanging out with her and Sebastian lecturing them on being polite and staying out of trouble. That doesn't exactly scream dark magic.

Natty nodded. "He's a gaunt. One of the most notorious family's associated with dark magic. He's a descendant of Salazar Slytherin. And a parseltongue." Natty finishes. Gianna is too stunned to speak. She doesn't say anything for a moment and focuses on everything that's been said. Poppy takes a chip from the tray of fish and chips and pops it in her mouth. She chews and swallows before speaking. "We are just saying. He could be dangerous. On top of everything that's going on. You don't need to be involved with someone like that." Poppy summarizes as Gianna continues to process everything.
The thought of Ominis being involved in dark magic looms over Gianna's head on the walk from Hogsmeade back to Hogwarts. Poppy and Natty walk ahead arm and arm as Gianna falls behind.

Perhaps this is why Ominis was quick to forgive Gianna for snapping at him the other night; If he understood being frustrated with rumors and prying eyes. Alternatively it was possible it wasn't rumors. What if Ominis really was interested in Dark magic like the Gaunts?
Gianna figured it wouldn't be hard to find out. She could ask around or talk to Sebastian if she worded it just right.

But.. Gianna supposed if she did she wouldn't be much better than the others spreading rumors and fueling the fire. So Gianna thought she 'ought to let sleeping dogs lie and remain curious.

Maybe she wasn't that different from Ominis Gaunt after all.