Chapter Twenty One

Gianna couldn't bring herself to do it. Every time Gianna tried to bring up the subject of Anne and the Salazar Slytherin Triptych she faultered when Ominis's grey eyes met hers. The idea of her falling for Ominis passed over her and while she couldn't bring herself to accept it; it was harder and harder to deny. For now Gianna would kept the idea at arms length for the sake of her friendship. Sebastian had urged her several times to 'get on with it' since the term was ending quickly but she couldn't. Gianna later refused Sebastian deeming she couldn't bring herself to hurt Ominis in such a way.

She decided it was best to avoid Sebastian altogether. All their conversations revolved around Anne now and her denial of his request had made him intolerable to be around. Unfortunately that meant Ominis too had to be avoided during meal times. She would still make time for him of course reading together by the common room fireplace as they always did. Ominis had bought a book at Hogsmeade they were currently reading together.

It was a fantasy novel about a non-maj from a wizarding family adventuring across Europe in search of his magic. Ominis read so softly and intently Gianna would focus and hang onto the words as he spoke. Sometimes he would furrow his brow when the book got text tense and Gianna would laugh. When Ominis would ask what had made her do so, she would keep it to herself.

For now, meal times were spent with Natty and Poppy, who she hadn't heard from recently. All three witches had taken turns canceling their three broomstick visits since the end of term had them riddled with exams. It was nice to catch up with them and talk to other girls. She grew tired with Sebastian's boyish humor sometimes. Plus Natty and Poppy were like sisters she never had.

"I was thinking." Natty's voice echoed from the Gryffindor table where Gianna and Poppy convened for lunch. "We should do something special this year for Christmas." Natty chimed taking a bite of a delectable looking apple. "Oh!" Poppy beamed. "How magnificent!" Poppy's positive voice chimed from beside Gianna. "We could do Secret Santa!" The girl clapped her hands together and Natty knitted her brow. "Secret Santa?" Poppy gasped. "It's a gift exchange between us. But we don't know who picked us." Gianna explained for Poppy who looked appalled that Natty had never heard of it. The hufflepuff had her hands clasped over her mouth in honest shock.

"Oh, well that sounds lovely!" Natty responded looking at Poppy to affirm her. "Sort of a girls Christmas if you will." Poppy smiled and nodded. "I'll arrange it! I can use my Nan's  hat to put the names." Her eyes glowed with excitement and Gianna couldn't help but smile at her friend's exhilaration.

Gianna found herself smiling too. Christmas was always extravagant in Venice. Her father's estate was often decorated to the nines for her mother's Christmas parties. Every year her father would pick out the largest tree that would touch the high ceilings of their living room. The house elves would spend days putting up ornaments and holly until the house was covered in red, green, white, and gold. The ornaments that hung on the tree were often enchanted with dancing cherubs, reindeer, and snowflakes that sung to the houseguests. The presents were wrapped with the finest ribbon and garnished with pinecones and peppermints. It was one of the more inviting parts of the year in the Romano home.

Hogwarts had begun to decorate as-well. The Great Hall adorned in Velvet runners and A Tree adorned in each of the house colors. It was beautiful. Probably the most beautiful Gianna had even seen Hogwarts.

She stole a cup of hot chocolate amongst the spread on the table. She adorned her cup with marshmallows and added a stick of peppermint to swirl her drink as her friends excitedly chattered about the gift exchange.

Over her shoulder she saw Ominis approach her shyly from the Slytherin table. Natty and Poppy noticed him too and dropped their voices enough to eavesdrop. Although Gianna hadn't mentioned anything about the weird feelings she had around Ominis she had mentioned the strange proposition her father had made her regarding Ominis. She had also mentioned how she had asked him to act as her boyfriend for the holidays to relinquish his suspicion on her activities outside of the castle. All that together was enough to keep the girls focus on Ominis as he approached her.