Chapter Nineteen

The hurry of quickly approaching winter holiday meant her confession to Ominis no longer could wait. Brown Nosing Oliver Prowse had owled her father detailing the time she spent alone with Ominis; meaning his arrival at the Romano house was more pertinent than ever.

Gianna laid in bed with her Herbology textbook on top her covers. Through her studying she had taken the time to research the flowers Ominis had given her that currently resided on her bedside dresser. The enchanted flower was an 'ever glow.' The white flower masked itself as a rose but it's changing color mimicked the emotion of its handler. Gianna remembered how it had flickered when Ominis had handed it to her, a pinkish red color. Unfortunately Gianna hadn't deciphered what the rest of colors meant but she had been writing the ones she could identify in the margins of her textbook. She had tried to squeeze her eyes shut and force herself to feel happy, sad, angry, etc. to get the flower to change for her notes.

Gianna grasped the stem of the flower and pulled it out of the vase and studied it. She cupped it's petals and gently held it's center. Gianna brought the everglow to her face and gently breathed in its scent. The flower was dainty and smelled sweet like an unassuming rose. The flowers petals turned a faint periwinkle before flashing back to white. Gianna placed the flower back in the vase contently. It truly was a beautiful gift and it contrasted the emerald dorm walls with a more delicate touch.

Headmaster Black had called classes off a week early for students to catch up on their students before exams. Although Gianna suspected this was in fact Professor Weasley's idea not Black's. It was funny to Gianna that even Headmaster Black seemed to be afraid of her.

With the extra time while Gianna had been studying she had also been investigating with Sebastian around the castle for the scriptorium mentioned in Isidora's diary. A fact the pair had kept from Ominis for now; Which was now two things Gianna was keeping from Ominis.

When Gianna felt like she couldn't manage looking at another lick of Herbology she decided to change her scenery and go outside. Although it was cold today the wind was surprisingly still and bearable on the grounds. She sat with her back against a tree switching her Herbology text for potions while overlooking the black lake. The light wind that was present blew small ripples into the shallow end of the water. It was peaceful and an excellent place to resume her studies.

A small tap on her shoulder startled her. Gianna's first instinct was to snatch her book and not her wand to face them when she was met by none other than Ominis and his kind eyes. "Gracious Gaunt. Don't do that." She complained clutching at her chest. "Sorry. I heard you come down the common room steps and was trying to catch you. " Ominis chuckled. "You're quite fast." He muttered to himself but loud enough for Gianna to hear. "Are you accepting company?" Ominis asked politely making a notion to the space beside her.

"No," she teased but kept her tone thick enough to where Ominis could tell she didn't mean it. He sat and propped his elbow on his knee before getting his textbook out of his own book bag. There was something so rejuvenating about him sitting there. Seems they both needed company after slaving away to their books stuck inside the castle grounds.

The duo continued to read comfortably in silence when Gianna felt a bubbling in the pit of her stomach. She was reminded of the fact that she had to inform Ominis of his demanded presence over the holidays with the stipulation that he must pretend to be her date to keep her father from asking questions. He could never know the real reason behind her adventures outside the grounds. Of course Gianna hadn't decided if she would tell Ominis what her parents thought he was to her. Perhaps she could let them think they were an item and just invite her friend over for dinner one night.

She licked her lips and her stomach gargled again this time louder. Ominis looked her way from the corner of his eye his blonde eyelashes fluttered as if pondering something. "Are you alright? You sound unwell." Gianna flushed at this. She hadn't expected him to comment on it.

"I am. Just feeling a bit nervous about this exam." She lied expertly. "Do you feel at all nauseous?" He asked in concern. "I can hear your heart beating rather quickly. Perhaps some water.." Ominis trailed off but was interrupted by Gianna's groan. "I said I'm fine Ominis really. I'm not a child." She snapped at him. He ignored this and placed a hand to her forehead. The light perspiration from her anxiety caused light mist on her skin and a heat in her cheeks.

"You don't feel fine. " He insisted. Gianna brought a hand to his and moved it from her forehead. "I promise I am. I've been in bed all day all I've been doing is resting." She explained calmly which seemed to relax Ominis slightly. His touch however; failed to recoil he placed a gentle hand to her cheek and his thumb grazed her jaw. Gianna felt her words catch in her throat her eyes examining him while his were downtrodden and focused, examining her with his hands.

"I'm sorry." He muttered and Gianna could feel his breath on her chin. "I don't know what's come over me. I just-" his voice became embarrassed and slightly ragged. "I never realized you have a mole here. Like me." His finger grazed over her cheek and he got closer holding her face gently in his hands. Ominis paused his eyes following the sound of her soft breathes and quickened heartbeat into hers.
For a moment Gianna thought he might kiss her.

"Ominis. I need to tell you something." Gianna spoke finally.

"I need to tell you something too." He interrupted her. His thumb rubbed over her chin and his hand was still placed just under her jaw.

"I need to go first. It's important." Gianna said urgently feeling as if she was unable to keep herself from putting it off any longer. Ominis dropped his hand and scooted to her side to show her he was listening. His engaged stare made Gianna faulter as she spoke.

"I want you to come over for holiday." Gianna spilled out with a nervous expression. "Really?" Ominis said as if his friend was joking. "Yes, my father has requested you come over for dinner one night." She explained and Ominis's face fell slightly. "Your father? What reason does he have for wanting me over?" Ominis prodded in suspicion.

"Funny thing you should ask." Gianna started sheepishly. "He may have heard the story you told Madame Blainely about my encounter with the shooter spider and well, he kinda thinks we are dating now." Gianna finished. Ominis looked a mix of bewildered and shy. It was not hidden beneath the blonde in his hair.

"Oh." Was all he said playing with his fingers.

"And another thing.. I need you to pretend to be my boyfriend."