Chapter Twenty Two

Gianna and Ominis opted to walk to Hogsmeade after meeting on the grounds. A bit of snow covered the top branches of the trees; and the rest dripped from the bark and onto the ground. The surprisingly warm winter day didn't match the Christmas lights scattered throughout the trees lining the walk to Hogsmeade. They were beautiful and Gianna found herself watching them as the pair trecked up the hill.

Ominis quietly walked beside her using his wand to guide him. The terrain would sometimes cause him to faulter slightly but Gianna's amusement was enough for him to take the longer path. He smiled listening to her gasp upon taking in the Hogsmeade decor. He was sure it was beautiful.

When they reached the gates; Gianna's excited gasps turned into a speechless wonderment. The shopkeepers had dressed their parlor's to the nines to fit the rest of the decor. Each little window had a display of their good accompanied with velvet and holly. It was overwhelming to say the least for Gianna to decide where to begin.

"Where should we start? Do you have a gift in mind?" Ominis asked fondly.

"Oh gosh," Gianna cooed parting her lips and running her fingers through her hair. "I just don't know. Everything looks so magical.." She spoke quickly with an innate sense of enthusiasm. She was like a kid in a candy store.

"Magical huh?" Ominis laughed making a remark at her choice of words.

"Shut up." She scoffed. "You know what I meant, more than usual."

When she didn't answer Ominis smiled warmly at her. "I quite fancy the sweet shoppe around Christmas." He suggested. "Or the dress emporium is fun. The shopkeeper truly gets into the holiday spirit."

"Both!" Gianna interrupted him. "Let's do both."

Ominis's eyes sparkled and his lips curled into a small smile. "Very well ma'lady." He teased offering her his arm as they walked. Gianna accepted it and the pair manuevered their way through the village.

The slytherins opened the door to the candy shop causing the bell over the door to chime as they entered. Ominis was right, the inside was magnificent, students crowded around the Christmas displays and the holiday treats. There were peppermint bark and fudge stacked proudly on top of one another wrapped in ribbon like a gift.

To her left Gianna saw a train snaking around the tracks carrying gingerbread and lollies. Fascinated children surrounded it as it darted around the store, blowing exhaust from the terminal as though it were a working steam engine.

To her right on the shelves Russian dolls painted to look like Santa Claus sprang to life and sang carols to the guests as they removed candy from the display. Golden bowls held candy for guests to try and Gianna dipped her hand inside and pulled a candy cane out. When the ribboned sweet touched her lips her, she began to sing along with the dolls. Quickly covering her mouth and blushing furiously Ominis was quick to laugh.

"I suppose you grabbed a carol cane then." He mused at Gianna's horrified gasp. Still covering her mouth she nodded her head and managed to him a response. "It's a Hogsmeade special. " He continued to laugh. "You have a beautiful voice." Ominis complimented; only deepening her blush.

"How do I make it stop?" Gianna asked with a firm hand over her mouth. When she brought her hand off of her lips she began to the Hogwarts version of Jingle Bells before she stopped herself

Jingle Bells
Headmaster smells
Dragon Laid an Egg
Fell off my broom and hexed a goon
But the damn bloke got away (hey)

Ominis smirked seemingly enjoying her rare cheerful sing song voice before answering. "Just bite the stick. The effect only works if you keep it in tact." He explained. Gianna snapped the candy in half with her teeth and enjoyed the fruity cherry meringue flavor as it sat on her tongue.