Chapter Twenty Six

Gianna felt her heart leap into her throat. The room seemed to fall silent. All Gianna could hear was the low rumblings of her mother's orchestra and hushed whispers around her. Only, the room really had gone quiet and all eyes were on the Gaunts.

It was then that Gianna took the opportunity to look past Ominis's eyes and into the eyes of Mr. And Mrs. Gaunt. The horrifying pair of eyes she was met with took the wind out of her lungs. Mrs. Gaunt had a dark pair of beady eyes that seemed to tear right through her. Gianna felt a shiver run down her spine as the woman dressed in all black and adorned tight brown curls assessed her carefully.

Mr. Gaunt was slender and tall. His posture was stiff and straight with an emaciated look to his form. Both Mr. & Mrs. Gaunt boasted a similar scowl.

It was to her surprise and the surprise of the various partygoers that the guants had made an appearance. Despite her father's prominent role in society, Gianna hadn't remembered a time him ever mentioning them. Much less did Gianna remember seeing them at her mother's dinner parties or events. This left Gianna left in the dark about them until meeting Ominis. To see them at last after all of the rumors satisfied an odd curiosity. They looked as cruel and heartless as Gianna knew them to be.

Gianna supposed that if she had never seen them; much of partygoers hadn't either. It seemed as much as feverish whisperers broke out to her left and to her right. The guants passed through the onlookers and right toward Gianna and her father.

The minister looking rather red in the face puffed out his chest and lept forward. It was the kind of look a politician made when facing a rather fierce opponent.

Her mother joined them with a wary expression clouding her features. She was the very first to greet the Gaunt's as they approached. Gianna watched as she pulled a fake smile over her lips, but her eyebrows remained laced with concern.

"Lady Gaunt." Came her mother's fake shrill voice. "Welcome to Romano Manor." She screeched. The many eyes of the ballroom watched closely as Lady Gaunt opened her mouth to speak.

"Charmed." She retorted dryly. Her lips pressed into a firm thin line. She looked down to seize Ominis's shoulder in a less than comforting motion.

"I'll say we were rather surprised to see our Ominis was invited tonight. We are not often-" She turned to face Gianna squarely. "Invited to such occasions." She drawled with a firm tone. Gianna glanced at Ominis ,who despite his tall stature, looked small in his mother's grasp.

"Oh!" Came her mother's voice. "Well.." she trailed off awkwardly at Lady Gaunt's blunt statement. "You know how it is. Invitations can be quite competitive..." her voice was in confident under her astute gaze.

The moment was awkward and Gianna almost heard her mother swallow.

It was then that the minister stepped forward and knocked into Gianna's shoulder's as he passed her to shake Mister Gaunt's hand. "We are pleased regardless." Her father said authoratively. "Please make yourself at home. And do try the Hungarian brandy." He let out a throaty fake laugh.

But Mister Gaunt did not laugh. He merely scoffed and repeated his wife's firm sentiment.

"Ominis." Lady Gaunt addressed her son who lifted his chin for the first time in the conversation. "Do be cordial." She hissed. Ominis seemed to nod as if given a command.

"My apologies Mr. And Mrs. Romano." Ominis stated politely. He cleared his throat and continued. "Miss Romano." He nodded gruffly in Gianna's direction.

Gianna blushed and simply nodded back. Ominis looked up his light blonde eyelashes glinting in the candlelight. He looked breathtakingly more confident as he composed himself again before speaking.