Chapter Five

The Hogwarts castle was so large that Gianna still found new places to discover or ways to get lost within the grounds. With Sebastian's directions Gianna had been attempting to find the Owlery for a good half hour before she finally wandered upon it. At Breakfast Gianna received an owl from Eve, her family's house elf whom Gianna was rather close to, writing to her inquiring about Gianna's time as a Hogwarts student thus far. Another from a friend at her old wizarding school who had sent a lofty care package including some muggle books Gianna intended to read swiftly between her classes and quests outside of the castle. Hearing from both her friend and Eve warmed Gianna's heart. Although she didn't miss home exactly; some elements of home crept in and washed over her like a wave of cold water seeping through her skin from her clothes. That homesick feeling had caused Gianna to excuse herself from the table and promptly respond to each of them immediately.

Gianna beamed as she carried the two letters in hand meeting with her owl Tawny who sat fast asleep on a nesting perch. Gianna reached up and scratched the bird's chin with her pointer finger and smiled. "Get up sweet girl. I have a delivery for you." Gianna cooed as she held out the Letters to her pet. The stationary was Emerald and very neat with her family's wax seal matching the letter sent from home. Tawny groggily opened her eyes as Gianna continued to tickle just under her beak. "It's a long flight back to Italy." Gianna continued. The bird stretched her wings and shook her head. She hastily snatched at the perfectly smoothed parchment with her beak and spread her wings gingerly. Gianna took a muffin out of her pocket she had taken from the Great hall and broke off a large piece for Tawny to hold in her talon. "Here's a travel snack and I'll see you when you get back." Gianna instructed her patting the Owl on her toffee and cream colored feathers adorned on her head. The bird fully took off and disappeared over the horizon.

As she walked back to her common room Gianna couldn't help but walk with her nose in the book her friend from home had gifted her. The book was a bestselling romance from a muggle writer in England. Her friend, had written a note along with it, claiming it was the best love story she had ever read which incited interest into the Slytherin girl.
She walked almost shuffling her feet eyes glued to the pages. Somewhat unaware of her surroundings she bumped into the chest of a student who muttered grotesquely at her for doing so but stopped themselves mid insult. "Gianna?" It was Ominis.

Gianna tore her eyes away from the book to stare up at none other than Ominis Gaunt himself. She hadn't realized how tall Ominis was until now. With his collar propped and his tie snuggly fit around his neck he looked very neat and polish. Gianna had to step back to look him in the eye. "Hello Ominis. How did you know it was me?" She asked him. "You wear a very strong perfume. " Ominis commented as though it was obvious. "I believe it's Vanilla and Lavender. One can smell it down the hallway before you manage to turn the corner." Ominis explained. Although the comment had been a bit blunt Gianna knew he didn't mean this as an insult but simply a fact he thought both of them were aware of.

"Fair enough Ominis. " Gianna laughed. Ominis sat up a bit straight his arm still outstretched with his wand Infront of him. Red sparks glinting from the tip of it. "What were you doing crashing into me?" Ominis inquired changing the subject. "Surely you don't make it a habit to fall into young man's chests?" Ominis completed his thought with a hint of a lecture. Gianna became flustered by his word choice. "Of course not!" She stated sternly. "I've only began this wonderful book my friend sent me. " Gianna gushed holding the book to her chest. "I haven't been able to put it down."

Ominis's face softened and Gianna noticed his eyes flicker with a sense of interest. "What are you reading?" He mused and Gianna paused. "I-well it's a muggle book. I'm not sure what it's about yet. But it's supposedly the greatest love story ever told." Gianna shrugged feeling a bit embarrassed Ominis had been the one asking. She wasn't sure about how he felt about sappy books like romances. They for one were Gianna's guilty pleasure. "A muggle book? I've never read one. Is it good?" Ominis wondered out loud more to himself than to Gianna who nodded at his words. "Oh very much. I've only gotten to read it from the walk back from the Owlery and I can't stop."

Ominis smiled and did said something Gianna wasn't expecting. "Perhaps you could read it for me sometime. Or I could borrow it." He offered causing Gianna to furrow her brow. "Really? You'd want to?" She struggled to comprehend this. "I didn't picture you as a romantic." She replied in disbelief. Ominis warmed at this. "People can surprise you. Although I wouldn't have see you as one either?" He retorted back. Gianna found herself blushing. "It's kind of a secret pleasure of mine. My good friends are the only ones who truly know that about me."

"Friends?" Ominis said slightly vulnerably and shyly. It was the kind of vulnerability she had never seen from Ominis. He was normally unable to contain his snarky lectures or sarcasm from her. Gianna stumbled. "Of course. We are friends aren't we Ominis?" Gianna quizzed him and Ominis looked down the sides of his lips curled slightly. His voice was low and soft. "Yes. I suppose we are." He resounded. A moment of silence passed by but neither Ominis or Gianna noticed.

"Well your secrets safe with me." Ominis said comfortingly. He ran a hand through his hair and scratched his neck. His hands slid from his collar to his chest. "Good. I wouldn't want to have to hunt you down. Because I will." Gianna teased. Ominis crossed his heart with his finger with a soft smile on his face.

"I promise. But only if you consider letting me borrow it." Ominis bargained. "Deal." She wagered with him. Ominis continued to speak. "I've always been interested in muggle books. My family doesn't tolerate them at home. I once brought one home from a book store in town and they burned it. " Ominis dwindled with sadness. "I don't understand their ways or their thinking. Literature knows no title nor blood status." He scoffed. "But my family can be stubborn in their own ways I suppose." Gianna frowned. She knew the feeling all too well since her parents were also snobbish when it came to blood status. Gianna supposed Ominis's family were a bit beyond being uptight and narrow minded based on his words and the rumors she had heard.

"I understand. You're welcome to it anytime. " Gianna agreed. The boy's posture loosened. "Really? You're too kind. I shall be looking forward to it." The pair parted ways as Gianna continued to the common room her nose deep in the book once again.

Ominis turned as she left listening to the click of her loafers and the scent of Vanilla and Lavender wafting down the hallway.