Chapter Four

After hearing the rumors about Ominis that's all Gianna could hear when she walked through the Hogwarts castle. It seemed as though Gianna and Ominis were the most popular subject of their classmates conversations. Most recently Gianna had heard that Ominis had been teaching "the new student" dark magic. Even though that was far from the case. Since Ominis and Gianna's sole interaction's were few and far between. People also would ask Gianna directly if she knew if Ominis was related to dark magic which was the most annoying. She barely knew Ominis? How was she supposed to know such a personal thing about them. Even if she was to ask him Gianna felt confident he would never share that with her. Gianna supposed that to her classmates it seemed like Gianna and Ominis were quite close since they hung out frequently but only in association to their common friend, Sebastian Sallow.

Even so the questions and the rumors not only about her but Ominis too began to annoy Gianna. Gianna felt a sense of irritation when someone would talk about Ominis and make accusations like that about him. She felt protective of him and like it was her responsibility to stand up for him.

Later in Charms Gianna sat with Sebastian and Ominis. Natty had been sick that day so she opted to sit with her other friends today. Sebastian was gleeful at this and she received a friendly tolerant smile from Ominis. Professor Ronen had scheduled a practicum today in class for the 5th years to conjure a perfect Wingardium Leviosa charm so after greeting her friends she sat down and did some last minute studying.

Behind her Gianna heard Duncan Hobhouse, a Ravenclaw student, speaking unnecessarily loudly to another Ravenclaw. "He's no good he is. I heard his family practices the unforgiveables." Hobhouse spoke matter of factly making no effort to hide or lower his voice. "I heard he cursed his friend and that's why she dropped out of Hogwarts." The other Ravenclaw chimed in and the pair snickered.

Both Ominis and Sebastian tensed at this. Ominis looked exhausted and let out a long sigh. Sebastian balled up his fists and started to rise from his seat but Ominis put a hand on his shoulder when he heard the chair pull back. "Don't. It's not worth it."
From this Gianna surmised Duncan and the Ravenclaw boy were talking about Ominis. She wasn't sure who the friend was they were talking about but it seemed to deeply upset Ominis and Sebastian.

"Did you hear him? He's talking about Anne. I can't just let that git get away with that." Sebastian replied batting away Ominis's hand from his shoulder. "I know it doesn't bother you but it bothers me." Sebastian stated icily. His face contorted into a scowl unlike Gianna had ever seen before. "Sebastian please." Ominis pleaded. "Let it go." Ominis's voice was commanding. Sebastian stirred as he considered Ominis's words. He adjusted his robes and finally grasped the lip of the chair and sat back down. "Fine. " Sebastian whined painfully. There was a silence and Sebastian took a sharp inhale of breath to calm his nerves. When the moment had passed and the intensity had subsided Gianna spoke, "Who's Anne?" Gianna asked and Sebastian took another deep breath. Except this time Gianna noticed a sadness to his eyes.

"Anne is my sister. She used to go to Hogwarts but she was cursed a year ago. By a Goblin." Sebastian explained with a strained tone to his voice. "She never recovered. And the fact that those morons are blaming Ominis for something traumatic that happened to her..." He trailed off his voice rising again. Sebastian looked at Ominis who also looked sad to remind himself to stay calm. "It boils my blood. Anne is everything to me." He continued to explain. Gianna placed a comforting hand on his back rubbing his back slightly. "I understand. I'm really sorry for asking. I didn't mean to bring up anything sensitive." Gianna said sincerely. Sebastian shook his head and smiled. "No it's not your fault. I'd love for you to meet Anne at some point. She'd love you." Sebastian smiled deeper. "I think she'd like to have more girl friends. I suppose she would get tired of Ominis and I."

Ominis smiled warmly. A soft glint in his eyes as he spoke "I think she'd like you too." Ominis added. The warmth from his words shocked Gianna and she was taken off guard. "Thanks Ominis. That means a lot." She smiled back at him meeting his gaze and feeling honestly comforted by his affirmation. Their moment was short lived as the sound of more of Hobhouse's snickering sent Gianna into a frenzy. Maybe she 'ought to teach the spineless boy a lesson for talking about Ominis and Sebastian that way.
Gianna stood up from her seat feeling herself get hotheaded from everything Sebastian had told her.

"Sit down Romano. " Ominis instructed. "You defeat one troll and think you're some kind of hero." Ominis spat sharply. This was the kind of comment Gianna was expecting from Ominis. Glad to see he's feeling alright. Gianna half anticipated taking him to the hospital wing since he hasn't said anything  sarcastic in nearly an hour.

Sebastian smirked. Any excuse to start trouble was something he wanted in on. "Oh come on Ominis. Wouldn't it be at least a little fun to scare Hobhouse. Wouldn't be hard. Scared of his own shadow that one." Sebastian grinned a mischievous grin. Ominis grunted and shook his head. "No Sebastian. None of that. Hobhouse is just upset I called him a silly nickname that happened to stick. " Ominis explained and Sebastian laughed recalling it. "Puffskin Dunkein!" Sebastian bellowed. "How could I forget? One of your better works Ominis. Didn't know you had it in you." Sebastian encouraged putting an arm around an annoyed Ominis's shoulders who grimaced at this. Following along with Ominis's wishes Gianna made her way back to her seat as Professor Ronen entered signaling the start of the practicum.

When class ended Sebastian and Ominis packed up their things. As they were making their way out the door Gianna waved them off. "Go on I'll meet you later." Gianna called after them. When they did Gianna spun on her heel bee lining in Duncan's direction. The two boys laughter trailed off when they saw her coming. Duncan backed up slightly and Gianna got in close keeping her hand on her wand. "If I were you I'd keep my name and Ominis's name out of your mouth." Gianna spat at him. Duncan went white noticing her hand placement. Gianna suddenly unsheathed it and held the tip of it just under his chin propping his head up as she taunted him. "If I hear one more word about any of this I'll hex you in a minute." Duncan had still yet to say anything but nodded vigorously his Adam's apple bobbing nervously in his throat. Gianna released her positioning of her wand and Duncan and the Ravenclaw scurried off out of Professor Ronen's classroom.

Gianna felt proud of herself for scaring a little sense into him. She beamed and began to pack up her things to leave herself. When she saw Ominis standing in the doorway.

Gianna was startled and flinched slightly upon seeing him there. There was a pause. "I- forgot my wand. I can't get anywhere without it." Ominis explained himself. Of course Gianna knew this and she knew Ominis knew she was aware of this fact aswell. It was obvious he overheard and wasn't sure how to take Gianna's defense. Gianna was also quiet. She had not intended for Ominis to hear that. She wasn't sure what possessed her to confront Hobhouse. She only knew he made her irrationally angry about his comments about Ominis and Anne. She didn't want Ominis to know though considering neither one of them had verbally distinguished a friendship between them despite their many encounters. Her heartbeat quickened and she avoided Ominis's gaze.

"Did I hear you scolding Hobhouse?" Ominis finally said after what felt like centuries. "I-well yes." Gianna admitted. She wasn't sure if Ominis would be pleased by this or not considering he had very clearly asked her not to say anything at the beginning of lecture. It was possible he might think Gianna was mocking him or treating him like he was incapable by doing this, Gianna thought. She swallowed harshly. "I'm sorry Ominis-I didn't mean to-" She started but was caught off by Ominis's voice.
"Thanks." He stated simply. An element of sincere gratitude was implied from his tone.

"You're welcome." Gianna replied. Another long pause ensued. Ominis shifted awkwardly. "See you around?" Ominis asked somewhat shakily not making eye contact in the direction of Gianna's voice.

"Yeah. Of course." Gianna confirmed swinging her bag over her shoulder and heading for the door.
"Gianna wait." Ominis called after her causing the girl to swing around in place.

"Can you help me find my wand?"