Chapter 16

Alex stood there, beneath him Julia Rothman had bled to death, by a gun that Alex was holding.

He couldn't believe it, he had killed someone, sure she was a bad person and killed too many people in her life, including his parents. But Alex couldn't help but feel the dread creeping up his body when he looked at the puddle of blood.

He wanted to throw the gun away right there, despite it probably having saved his life. But Alex still needs it for the final part of his plan.

He forced himself to look away from the dead body moving his feet in the direction of the exit. He started to run away from this place, he was already outside, the boat floating in the water was his way out.

He finally reached the boat, climbing inside, behind he could already hear some noise of commotion, they had probably found Rothman body. He put the keys in the ignition, sighing in relief when the boat jumped to life. At the same moment, a group of people left the building running in his direction. Quickly he started to move the boat accelerating in the right direction.

The others had entered another boat chasing after him, firing in his direction in the process. But Alex wasn't done he turned around and raise his weapon, not pointing in the direction of the other boat tailing behind him, but in the direction of the school, more specifically the open window.

In all his time there, Alex had noticed a little detail: the kitchen window was always left open, no matter the weather. When he questioned Yassen, the man had told him that the chef didn't like the mixture of food smells, so he always had it open. Alex thought that it was a little weird the reasoning, and if it was true or not, he didn't care.

What it really matter was that the island used gas to cook, and a shot in the right direction would determine the end of Malagosto.

It was at this moment that Yassen training came in handy. He kept his hand steady against the calm sea, trying to ignore the other boat approaching him. He shot a couple of bullets emptying the chamber and not even a moment later a ball of fire was seen at Malagosto. A series of explosions sounded as the place went in flames.

Thankfully that proved to be a distraction to the others chasing him as all of them turned behind to see what had happened. Alex took advantage of that accelerating the boat, and when he was close enough to where he wanted, he jumped out.

It would be too dark for the others to see that he had jumped into the water. The boat would continue to go further without him on it, hopefully long enough to fool them.

He felt the shock of the cold water, freezing him instantly, Alex ignored the feeling pushing himself forward maintaining himself underwater the most possible time, and at the same time shorting the distance between himself and the land.

He had chosen where he wanted to go carefully, it was the perfect spot away from the exercise the other class went, and away from prying eyes. It was the end of a patch of forest that if he went forward he would reach the city.

When he came to the surface the boat had already pass him following his empty one. It was one last problem.

Quickly he swam the short distance until he reached the piece of land, instantly running forward taking advantage of the cover that the trees provide him.

He stopped catching his breath, he still had one thing left to do, get rid of the tracker.

He didn't have much choice in the matter, he would have to break it open.

He looked at the ground squinting his eyes, to try to make out the ground, only having the light of the moon.

Finally, he spotted a rock large enough that it wouldn't break easily. He put his wrist, his palm face upwards, against the floor.