15

"Morgan invited me to her after party. I left the dance probably twenty minutes after you guys did to go home and change into something way more comfortable." Taehyung explains the events that happened last year as Mia sits down beside him with her mouth agape, eyes wide while staring at the floor. She can't help but worry at this point.

She sits quietly and listens carefully as he continues. "Morgan lived five minutes away from me so I walked down the street to her house and wondered where everyone was at. I saw two parked vehicles in the driveway but the house looked empty. This is Morgan who was throwing a party—everyone would be there. Just as I was about to turn around and walk home—I heard screaming from the house. I was thinking someone was hurt so I ran up to the front porch and then froze when I saw you through the window—in the living room covered in blood. You and your friends were panicking and talking about the accident. I overheard you tell the others that Stephen had hit Brittany with his jeep and she was dead. Couldn't believe my ears—I checked the front of the guy's jeep and I saw how much bad shape it was in—also there was a lot of blood."

"Did you tell anyone else about that night?" Mia asks, looking at him sideways with a frown on her face.

Taehyung shakes his head. "No but I believe the killer attacked me because l didn't go to the police,"

"Why didn't you go to the police, Taehyung? Right now I wish I was behind bars instead of fighting for my life. I can't sleep, barely eating and I'm paranoid to do literally anything—always looking over my shoulders—too afraid to be alone or to even walk down the street. Hell, I'm scared to answer my phone,"

Sliding his hand in hers, he squeezes it to comfort her as she quietly sobs. "You should've went to the police. What we did was wrong. I'm a bad person. It's not fair she had to lose her life and I get to live mine—just walking on earth like nothing happened. I deserve to rot in prison,"

"No you don't. It was an accident and besides it wasn't you who had hit her," Taehyung says, wiping a tear away from her wet cheek with the back of his hand.

"But I just left her there to suffer. Every time I close my eyes I see her just lying there in the middle of the road bleeding to death, slowly dying from her injuries." Taehyung carefully circles his arms around her and brings her into a comforting hug, wincing—because of his stitches being brushed upon as she buries her face in his chest, sobbing.

The door opens startling them both and Taehyung's father dressed in his police uniform comes in carrying a takeout bag and drinks, smiling politely when he sees Mia in the room. "Hi,"

Quickly, the teen girl hops off the bed and grabs her backpack and binder off the chair nearby the window—from when she was doing homework earlier—then smiles back at the officer, brushing some loose hair behind an ear. "Hi. Um—sorry I gotta run or I'm going to be late for class." She gives her crush a sad smile then walks out the door hugging her binder against her chest, head hanging down with her backpack over one shoulder.

"She's cute. Who is she?" The father puts the food down on the counter next to the sink—he's back from grabbing his son some breakfast knowing he dislike the hospital food.

Grabbing the remote off the bed and then pointing it at the tv screen, Taehyung shuffles on the bed to get more comfortable and then mutters "A friend."

The automatic double doors slides apart and Mia steps outside putting the binder in her backpack, hurrying across the parking deck to her car, stopping when her phone rings in her back pocket.

She sighs deeply, seeing it's the unknown number again. "Hello?"

"Hello, Mia. It's been a minute since we last spoken on the phone. You missed me? Because I sure did missed you." The raspy voice laughs hauntingly on the line.