Change of Plans

Adan and Samuel made it back home but kept quiet so Crystal couldn't hear them. Everything was in the clear, and they went inside their room. Samuel put the bag of his remains on the bed and grabbed his skull. "I can't believe that I finally have my remains. It has been hundreds of years. Tomorrow night, I will be free."

"Thank god, man! I want this evil spirit to leave us alone! So there's a heaven and hell? I mean, you're a spirit too."

"Yes, it is called life. Some people can live in heaven, while others live in hell. I don't know if there is an afterlife or if we are reborn. All I know is that I want to be free from this misery. I have you to thank, Adan. You also have developed more courage."

Adan was silent for a moment. "I guess so. I was a scaredy cat, wasn't I? All this time, I can see why Crystal never liked me more than a friend. I hoped she would see past my insecurities, but you made me realize I needed to work on myself first. I was selfish not to change. You taught me tough lessons, man."

Samuel looked at his skull and put it in the bag and under the bed. "Well, I am glad to be of service." Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. "Yes?"

"Adan, it's me. Can I come in?"

"Yes."

Crystal entered in her pajamas with a small blanket covering her. "I can't sleep. No matter how much I try. I can't stop thinking about this case. Sometimes I don't know what to believe."

Samuel nodded. "I understand." He motioned for her to sit next to him, and she did so. "Tell me, do you regret coming here?"

"Yes and no. I never realized how dangerous this situation was. I thought all those hauntings and experiences were fake. I guess I was wrong."

"Sometimes we need to learn what is good and what is not. However, I will admit that you were a bit foolish initially but have more inner strength than you thought."

Crystal looked at him. "You've changed, Adan. No offense, but I remember you being a coward, but this trip changed you. You look as if you're not afraid as much anymore."

"Wow, she didn't have to say it that way," said Adan.

Samuel smiled. "Life is an experience, Crystal. There are no instructions on how to live it. Sometimes we must go through hardships and fear to learn about the cruel realities of life. We both have and look at us. We learned and helped changes us."

"Wow, you became some philosopher. I guess this trip was good for us, in a sense."

"Really!? She doesn't know the half of it! Hey, tell her about the evil spirit following us. She can help us stop this thing."

Samuel ignored him. "So, what will you do now when...we...go home?"

The young woman sighed. "Well, I will write my book about our experiences. I finally accepted that some people might believe this or not. I must learn to stop caring what others think and feel. It will only make me miserable."

"You're right. People tend to be cruel at times. They can't stand to see other people happy, so they will use words to deter you from your happiness. Write because it makes you happy, not others to be happy."

Crystal and Samuel looked at one another. Crystal couldn't believe that 'Adan' spoke with guidance and maturity. She felt that he had changed a lot. Their eyes interlocked. Their faces were coming closer to one another. Samuel gently cupped her face and motioned her lips closer to Adan's. They kissed. At first, their lips only touched, but Samuel slowly slid his tongue inside her mouth, surprising Crystal. 

She felt his tongue inside her mouth, making her stiff, but his tongue slowly motioned hers to move alongside his. She did and deepened the kiss. Adan watched as everything unfolded. He was shocked that Crystal was kissing him. Well, it wasn't him, per se. She was kissing Samuel, and she didn't know it. He always wanted it, but Crystal developed feelings for Samuel, not him. She didn't realize that she fell for Samuel, a man who lived hundreds of years ago.

Adan wanted to take control, but Samuel was refraining from doing so. He bit his lower lip as he was forced to watch. Samuel felt many emotions in Adan's body. He felt happiness and envy. He knew that Adan was watching. However, it has been many years since he kissed a woman. Samuel had almost forgotten how it felt like. It felt so warm and so good. He wanted more but didn't want to make Adan more envious. He separated from the kiss. "You should get some sleep. We will speak more tomorrow morning." Samuel gently touched her face.

Crystal blushed and nodded. "Good night." She stood and left Adan's room.

Samuel was silent, as was Adan. Adan said nothing, and Samuel knew that he was not happy. Samuel was thoughtful, but he got the bag of his remains and took out the phone. He made an order for Lyft. "What are you doing?" asked Adan.

"This cannot wait any longer. I decided that this would end tonight. We're going to Abeni and take her to the house. We need her help to do the ritual."

"What? Now? She said-!"

"It doesn't matter what she says. This has to end tonight. I realize that Crystal might interrupt the ritual, and I don't want her to get too suspicious." Samuel got the bag of materials and the body. He snuck out of the room by the window and waited for the driver to arrive, which he did and drove him to Abeni's shop. Traffic was limited since many people were at home or barely going out, and they made it to the shop.

The shop was still open, and Samuel noticed it was almost about to close. He thanked the driver and went to the shop. He saw Abeni cleaning through the door and knocked on the door. Abeni flinched and noticed him by the door. She put the broom aside and opened the door. "Hey, what are you doing here? I thought we agreed tomorrow night?"

"I changed my mind. I-I can't wait that long. I am too excited to see you. I was on the road, and I saw your shop. You always were in my mind."

Abeni blushed and was about to respond, but Samuel stilled as he looked behind her. She turned and saw her grandmother Erzulie.