Possession

Adan's eyes widened as he saw himself. "S-Samuel!? Th-There is no way! You're me! How is that possible!?"

"Why, I transferred my soul to your body and your soul to my remains. Call it a soul exchange." Samuel stood and extended his arms. "It feels so good to be in the flesh once again."

As Samuel stretched, Adan saw Abeni's lifeless body. Her eyes were half opened, as were her lips. "A-Abeni?" Adan tried touching her, but his hands went through her. Adan yelped as his body trembled. He looked at his shaky hands. "Wh-What did you do to me!?"

Samuel sighed. "You are slow. I can see why Crystal never held an interest in you. Well, I exchanged my soul for your body, and I exchanged yours into my remains. You are technically a spirit connected to my remains." Samuel grinned as he put the candle over Abeni's dead body. "However, I needed a sacrifice which is why I seduced her."

"Y-You killed her grandmother, didn't you!?"

"She should be happy that I killed her with a powerful spell. That woman may have known voodoo and other dark magic, but I have been alive for over two to three hundred years. Delilah taught me the old ways of voodoo and magic."

Adan was trying to process everything that he was being told. "Delilah killed you, but...wait..."

"You're catching on. In truth, I tricked her into teaching me dark magic. I was sick and tired of working for so little. I hated that prosperity was ignoring my way. I was tired of working so hard and getting nothing in return. I seduced Delilah to teach me spells, and the more I practiced, the more I realized that things were going my way. However, I wanted more. I discovered certain spells could get me riches but required sacrifices."

Adan still trembled. "So you killed Delilah and her family, didn't you?"

Samuel looked impressed as he chuckled. "Well done. I killed them individually, leaving Delilah for last, but that blasted slave killed me before I could complete the spell. She cursed me, and other slaves hid my body."

"You lied to me."

"Well, Adan, of course. I had to lie to get what I wanted. I had to lie that there was another evil spirit here, which, in reality, was me all this time. All the years I have been entrapped, I learned more dark magic and split my soul into two to make my story believable."

"So, it was you who possessed Ronald DeFeo Jr."

"Yes. To make the soul exchange work, a sacrifice is needed. I could have killed one of the family members, but it would have brought me trouble, so I had to kill all of them. I could have possessed Ronald's body, but he was able to cast me out before I could have gotten my remains and the completion of the ritual." Samuel let out a huff as he paced around Abeni's body. "So now you know. The Amityville case has been solved. However, you will never be able to tell the tale." Samuel knelt beside Abeni and put the knife in her hand.

Adan watched, and to his horror, Samuel stabbed himself in the stomach, arms, and other parts of his body. "What the hell are you doing!?"

Samuel ignored him as he eventually stopped stabbing himself and left the knife in Abeni's motionless hand. He laid his back on the wall, breathing heavily. "I must make my story believable once I get out to the outside world and when Crystal arrives."

"Cr-Crystal!? She will find out what you have done! I-!"

Samuel stood with the candle still in hand and Adan's blood dripping. "Again, with your stupidity, Adan. How will she know if you are technically dead? Only I can see you. When Crystal sees me, she will see your body. Now that my spirit is connected to your body, I have all your memories. What a pathetic life you lived. It is no wonder why Crystal never returned your feelings." Samuel slowly began to walk to the exit of the room. Adan stood and tried to stop him, but he went through his body. "Don't worry, Adan. I will live your life to the best of my ability. As you saw, Crystal kissed me and not you. I will be the man you could never be. This will be our last goodbye, and you will finally be in peace." 

He then threw the candle on the curtains, and the curtains caught aflame. When the bones and house burn, you will disappear." Samuel did a gentleman-like bow. "May you go in peace, my friend." He laughed as he walked away.

Adan screamed as he tried to get to his body, but he would always go through. Samuel hummed in excitement as he got closer to the door. He smelled the smoke becoming stronger, and at the corner of his eye, the flames were getting rapid. When he got to the door, he saw a car parked and saw Crystal and Bobby. Samuel opened the door and limped outside. Adan tried to go after him but couldn't go through the house.

"Why can't I get out!?"

Crystal and Bobby exited the car and saw "Adan" stumbling out of the house, covered with knife wounds and blood. Bobby got his phone out and phoned for police and an ambulance. Crystal ran toward Samuel. She got hold of him before he could fall to the ground. "Adan, what the hell happened to you!?" she screamed as some of his blood got on her clothes.

"C-Crystal, I am sorry. I-I wanted to help you with your work." Samuel coughed and ground at his stab wounds. "I-I met a witch who said she could communicate with the dead. She asked me to come, but..." He coughed. "It was a lie. I-I was tricked, and she wanted to do a ritual! I escaped, but I-I think she's dead! I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry!" Bobby went to them and saw the fire slowly engulfing the house but heard parts of the story.

"The firefighters, ambulance, and police will be here. Try to hang on, Adan!"

Meanwhile, Adan watched everything unfold as he tried to escape the house, but it was as if a force was pulling him back. Suddenly, he felt weaker and slowly fell to the floor. He felt that the remains were burning away. Samuel said that if the remains disappeared, so would he. Adan tried calling Crystal, but she couldn't hear or see him. 

In his body, Samuel eyed him and let out a small smile as he lay in Crystal's arms. Samuel tricked him and now took complete possession of his body. "Crystal!"

Crystal felt a jolt in her body and looked toward the house; nothing but flames existed. Samuel noticed this, and he hugged her tightly. "Everything will be okay, Crystal. We will put this behind us and live on with our lives. Promise me that you will be by my side."

The young woman looked at Samuel and hugged him back. 

Adan saw everything and disappeared. Moments later, the police, firefighters, and ambulance arrived and tried to extinguish the fire. Samuel was put in the ambulance, and Crystal went with him while Bobby stayed behind. 

Crystal and Samuel held hands. Crystal put her head on his knees. On the other hand, Samuel saw through the ambulance's window and the house still in a blaze. He no longer felt Adan's spirit. 

He was gone. Samuel looked down at Crystal and his new body. After all those years in the house and all he had to do, his work paid off. Adan was the only one who knew the truth about what went on in the house. Adan was gone, taking the truth with him.

Ronald and the debate of his actions will still be of conspiracy.

Samuel smiled.