Ritual

Bobby finally arrived and picked Crystal up. Once she entered the car, they both sped off. "Crystal, tell me what's going on."

Crystal felt anxious and nervous as she tried calling Adan's cell phone. "I had a dream, Bobby. I dreamt of Ronald, his family, and these three people I don't recognize. They were in Ronald's room, and Adan was in the center. It was as if he was dead or something!"

Bobby pulled over to the side of the road. "Crystal, that was just a nightmare. Why are we-?"

"Bobby, this is not the first time I had a dream with Ronald. I also saw things in that house. You may or may not believe me, but something is in that house, and it seems it's after Adan. He isn't his usual self! He's also not in the house, which is unusual for him! Please believe me, Bobby!"

The older man looked at her pleading face and thought about Ronald and the day of the murders. Out of all the investigators, Crystal and Adan were the only ones with almost unbelievable information and experiences. "Alright, fine. We'll go to the house, but if we find nothing, ya need to forget going back there."

Meanwhile, Samuel and Abeni arrived at the house. Abeni raised an eyebrow. "What are we doing here?"

Samuel smiled. "You know what this house is?"

She nodded. "Everyone around here does. It's where the DeFeo murders happened. Why are we here, though?"

"Believe it or not. A friend and I have been coming here to research and find evidence that Ronald DeFeo killed his family on purpose or if he was possessed." Samuel held onto Abeni's waist; he used his thumb to tickle her gently. "We found interesting activity."

"Oh, what did you guys find?"

"My friend has been having dreams and supposedly spoke with a spirit. We don't know whose spirit it is. We're in the process of writing a book." Samuel smiled as he held her closer to Adan's body. "I know you have experience in voodoo and black magic. I need your wisdom to do a spell to communicate or put whatever is in the house in peace. I want to put your assistance in the book." Abeni looked surprised as she looked at Adan's body. Samuel noticed the slight disappointment in Abeni. "I upset you. I'm sorry. Do you want to know another truth I kept from you?"

The young woman nodded.

"I-I wanted you to come with me because...well...I like you. Society doesn't understand people like us and our passions. We are seen as outsiders. I imagine it is difficult to tell people about what you and your family do." 

Abeni was silent for a moment. "It is. People get scared that my family and I own a shop that sells things for voodoo and black magic. So, you do like me, even though we barely met?"

"Of course. Will you help me?"

"Yes, let's do this." 

Samuel smiled as he gave her a peck on the lips and led her to the back section of the house, where one of the windows was unlocked. Adan was silent throughout the conversation. "What did you do to her grandmother?" he asked in a monotone voice.

Samuel helped Abeni to enter the house. "Worry not; I just put her in a deep sleep. I know some black magic. We're almost at our goal." He entered the house with his bag and materials. The house was dark, and Samuel led Abeni to Ronald's room. He got the bag, took the materials he bought from her shop, and laid them on the floor. He lit up the candles and put them in a circle.

Samuel got a knife and cut his hand; his blood dripped in a cup. He looked at Abeni. "I need your blood too."

"My blood?"

"Yes, this spell requires the blood of two. It will make sense when it is done. Please, trust in me."

The young woman slowly motioned out her hands, and Samuel gently cut the palm of her hand, and her blood dripped onto the cup. He then combined the blood and used it to make a satanic pentagram. Everything was ready; he smiled. "Please sit in the center, and the ritual will begin."

Abeni did as she was told and noticed Samuel holding onto another bag. "What's in there?"

Samuel didn't answer as he motioned out his hands to her. She slowly held onto them. Suddenly, she heard noises happening outside the room. Then a force hit the door, making her jump. "Wh-What was that!?"

"It's whatever is inside this house trying to stop us. You will be safe if you're in the circle." Samuel closed his eyes momentarily and spoke in an African language. The floor began to shake slightly.

Adan saw everything transpiring and also felt nervous. "Dude, what are you doing!? What is this ritual going to achieve!? You're scaring her and me!"

Samuel paid him no mind. The candles' fire extended to a higher height; the materials and circle of blood glowed. Abeni heard a growl inside the room, and Samuel kept on chanting. "A-Adan, I-!" Then she saw his bag on his legs; it moved slightly. To her horror, she saw the remains. She screamed and got her hands free from him. "I don't want to do this anymore!" She tried to get out, but when she tried, she was stopped by what felt like a barrier. "Adan, what's this? I want to leave."

Samuel's eyes opened, and his eyes were completely white. The bones floated from the backpack. The ground shook violently, and the noises from outside the house got louder. "SAMUEL, WHAT'S GOING ON!? I FEEL...I feel..."

Everything went dark.

What seemed like an eternity, Adan woke up. "What's going on? I feel light. My body felt weak." He slowly woke up, and everything was dark. Adan remembered Samuel, Abeni, and the ritual. "How long was I out for? Where are Abeni and Samuel?" He wondered if the ritual was a success.  "Where are the lights?" Suddenly, two candles were dimly lit. Adan was about to go pick them up. The closer he got, he stopped in his tracks; he saw a hand.

It looked like Abeni's.

"Do you need to get a clearer view?" 

"Wait a minute. That voice. It sounds like..." Adan's eyes widened as one of the candles was lifted, and he got a clear view of who held it. "Wh-What the hell? It's me. No, I am me. What's going on?" He saw himself of in front of him.

The other Adan smiled. 

"Hello, Adan. I'm glad you woke up."

"What...?"

"It is I, Samuel."