The Spark Within

It was another day in Ninjago. The sun broke through the clouds and light came pouring, the Monastery of Spinjitzu stood proudly on the mountain.

The ninja went for a mission, leaving Cole and Zane behind to look after the monastery. Master Wu had gone to visit an old friend, it was just the two of them.

Zane went down into the secret base to meet with Pixal, Cole stayed behind in the living room to play games.

"Ugh, seriously? I just defeated the other guy, I'm already on low health and now there's a another wave of lava monsters?" Cole kept his eyes focused on the screen, his fingers constantly clicking the controller.

Game over
With a groan, Cole set the controller on the couch and stood up. How long has he been playing? He turned to look at the clock hanging on the wall. Jeez, only an hour? Oh well, he's gonna have to find something else to do to pass the time. Cole walked out of the living room, he glanced at the silent hallway, slightly wishing now that he had forced himself to go with them.

Just then, the ground shook and the walls rumbled. Cole rushed out of the monastery to see The Land Bounty crashed into the staircase that was carved onto the hard slope. The deck was smashed into bits of wood, if it were for someone else, they would've thought it was a shipwreck. Zane came along and gasped at the terrible sight.

Lloyd and Nya emerged from the ruins, dragging Kai out of whatever's left of the cabin. He looked horrible and in pain, he held an arm over his stomach. Even if he was wearing a red gi, Cole could see a splash of darker red spred around the area his hand was on.

"Zane, he needs treatment!" Upon seeing the nindroid in white gi, Lloyd yelled over to him with Kai still in his arms.

"Where's Jay?" Nya looked around for her boyfriend, but there was no sight of him. She was determined to go back into the ruins to search for him. "I'm okay! I fell off when it crashed," Besides a few bruises, Jay looked fine. He was limping but there doesn't seem to be any blood. Nya lunged at him and hugged him tightly.

"What happend?" Cole looked at Kai, he seemed too much in pain to speak. Lloyd was in bruises as well, but no one could compare to Kai's injuries. "We were attacked," Lloyd didn't say anything else. Zane held Kai by his right arm and Cole took the left. Looking at the injured hothead, Cole felt something inside him dropped. He couldn't make out what that was, but all he knew was that he hated seeing Kai like this. He hated seeing Kai so in pain, he hated it so much.

•••

It was strange. Zane had said Kai would be okay, and that he just needed some rest. But Cole still couldn't stop thinking about the fact that Kai could literally stop breathing at any moment, so he sat beside the bed and waited for him to wake up. He tried not to think about the fact that...he might never wake up at all. Cole had never felt so stressed out, so worried, and that it was because a friend of his was injured.

No, he will wake up. I just need to be patient, he will wake up and tell me that he's fine. I just...just...need to...be patient....he will wake up, right?

It was really strange. Kai was never really someone Cole liked, because of his over-confident attitude. But over time he realised that rather than annoying, he actually started to think it was cute. The way Kai always had so much confidence, more than anyone in the group. The way he would encourage and share his confidence with others. Back then, he was annoyed with the fact that Kai was always so mean. But over time he realised that Kai had a soft side, the side he showed Cole whenever he felt useless. It was weird, nonetheless. Cole always got the feeling that Kai gets too comfortable when he's around him, as if he's his personal comfort pillow. Especially whenever Kai feels down, he would come to Cole and he would show the soft side that no one else could see. No one else except for Cole.

.....please wake up soon.