Complicated Feelings

Kai woke up on his bed, dazed as he tries to remember what happened. His hands fumbled through the blanket covered over him, was he...supposed to be hugging something? Or rather...someone? He found himself sleeping in a position that seemed like there was supposed to be someone else beside him. He usually sleeps on his back, with his hands spread out. But now he's sleeping on his side with his legs curled up. Then it all came to him. The memories came pouring into his mind as if someone pulled a 'regain memory' switch.

Cole
He was the one sleeping beside him, while Kai hugged onto him tightly. How did it come to this?

•••

"Mmph...!!" The way Kai just leaned in caught Cole by surprise. Kai pulled away slowly before regaining his consciousness and his cheeks flushed red.

"I..oh my god....I'm so sorry, I didn't know what I was-" Cole stared at him, still looking shocked. Kai began to think it was a bad idea, he cursed himself in his mind for making such a dumb move. Surely Cole would think he's a weirdo now, talking to Cole about it would've been much better.

Without warning, Kai felt himself being pulled in for another kiss. Now it was his turn to put on a shocked expression. His heart started melting and it was different from the first kiss.

He didn't notice it then, but Cole's lips felt soft and smooth. Kai felt something inside him burst, it tasted like cake. He wasn't exactly the type of person to go for sweets, but this taste is different. This sweet taste, the flavour warmed him up and he was eager for more. He forced himself to press against Cole's lips even more, making him lean back onto the bed.

He wanted to taste every last bit of it. So sweet, sweet as fuck. Ahh...it's making him go crazy. They broke the kiss and gasped for air.

"....Soo..how was that?" Cole felt a little embarrassed because he pulled Kai in for a kiss, he titled his head a bit to the side with his face blushing.

Kai smirked, he adjusted himself and stared straight into Cole's dreamy black eyes. "It was good, you tasted like cake," he grinned at the sight of Cole blushing even harder.

"Well...I...I'm sorry, I guess I should turn down on the amount of cake I'm eating," Cole didn't dare to look at Kai the way he did, he was afraid he might pass out. Afterall, he just had his first kiss, with a friend he thought he would stay friends with.

Kai's grin slowly faded, he looked at the man in front of him in awe. "No, I didn't mean it that way," he placed a palm on his cheek, "You can eat as you like, I was saying you tasted sweet. I don't mind if we do that again, I haven't tasted anything that sweet in ages,"

Kai leaned closer and whispered softly into Cole's ear, "And I like it," As he spoke, Cole's ears turned bright red as if on cue. How cute. Kai chuckled.

"Ah...you're kinda...leaning on me a bit too close..." Cole couldn't control himself, what was he doing? A minute ago he was just so confident seeing Kai so nervous. But now the roles have switched and he was the one getting nervous instead.

"I can do closer," Kai seemed to have regained his confidence and flirted with him however he wanted. Classic Kai, always flirting whenever he had the chance. But Cole didn't think that he would be flirting with any of his teammates, for that matter. For all he knew, Kai's ex-girlfriend was Skylor. Although he didn't think much back then and just felt annoyed at the sight of Kai literally chasing her behind like a loyal dog. But now thinking about it made him feel sour. He was kinda glad they broke up, because if they haven't he wouldn't have gotten the chance to be with Kai right now.

"Ahaha...getting flirty aren't we?" Cole tried to sit up but Kai gently pushed him back down onto the bed. Cole raised an eyebrow and just stared at Kai as he made his way closer.

"H-hey...what..?"

"Let's just stay like this for a bit, okay?" Kai let himself plopped down on Cole, wrapping his arms around him. He always enjoyed hugging him, he just never really got the chance to do it often. Hugging him felt warm and it was as if Cole was protecting him, he felt safe.

"...O-okay..sure..." His heart was gonna pop out of his ribcage any moment, but it was comforting. Being hugged like this felt like he wasn't alone in this world, although he never was. Cole knew he had amazing friends, but he always felt no one really understands him. He needed a hug, and a hug he's getting right now. He slowly put his arms around Kai's back and they drove into deep sleep, with smiles on their faces.

•••

Clunk!

"Jay, seriously?" Nya sighed at the sight of a broken plate on the floor. With Jay standing on the opposite, chuckling nervously.

It was 8am in the morning, almost everyone had woken up to get ready for their training. As usual, Zane cooked breakfast while the others just waited.

"Jay, clean that up. You don't want Zane to help you with that, he's already got his hands full in the kitchen," Nya grabbed a glass and went over to the table, avoiding the broken pieces on the floor.

"Sorryy.." Jay quickly crouched down and started picking the pieces carefully. Thank goodness he was wearing his ninja gloves.

"You're a complete chaos, Jay. You know that?" Cole shot him a side eye before digging back into his plate. Lloyd walked into the dinning room, yawning.

"Hey Lloyd!" Nya smiled at him cheerfully.

"Hey, Nya. Speaking of chaos, where's Kai?" Lloyd heard a bit of their conversation when he was walking outside, although his eyelids were heavy enough.

"He's still sleeping, give him a break. He got injured yesterday, let him have all the sleep he wants," Cole vouched for him, leaving Lloyd speechless. Since when did Cole became so caring to Kai? Oh well, it doesn't matter. Cole's right anyway, Kai can take as much rest as he wants. He knew how painful Kai looked and he remembered Nya's sobs.

"I hope he's okay, I know Zane said he'll be fine, but I'm still worried," Nya sat down and looked at her friends worryingly.

"I'm sure he's fi-" Lloyd responded, but someone walked in and he stopped.

"Kai!" Nya gasped happily.

"Hey guys! What did I miss?" Kai walked in as if nothing happened, he stretched his arms and glanced at Cole.

Cole glanced back for a bit, but he quickly broke their eye contact and went back to his food. Kai slightly blushed, remembering what happened last night. But he shrugged it off and went to get a glass of water.

Cole stared at Kai. The scenes from last night began replaying in his mind. Rather than feeling flushed, he found himself confused. Cole never really dated anyone. Never really told anyone the three golden words except for his mum. So is this love? Or is this just his feelings playing a trick on him? This happened with Nya before, he was confused with all the attention she was giving him. He thought he was in love with her, but it wasn't the case. What if this is the same, except it's with Nya's brother? He didn't know what to make of this. If he had to be honest, he wasn't sure if he was actually in love with Kai or not. Sure, he accepted Kai's flirting and the sudden kiss last night. But maybe he was more of a softie, he accepted it quickly because he didn't know how to reject him. It's confusing, really. Cole was never a person fit for love, that's why he's the only person in the team to haven't had a lover yet. They didn't even confirm their relationship last night, they just hugged each other and..slept.

When Cole was lost into deep thoughts, he didn't notice Nya and Lloyd staring at him, with their eyebrows raised. The awkward eye contact, what was that all about?