12 | Confrontation

Artemisia

"Are you sleeping with Leandro?" She spat, her eyes were alight in pure fury and I immediately feigned confusion as I looked over at Jacob. He shook his head as he rubbed his jaw. 

"No, Clementina. I am not." I sighed, focusing back on her as I stepped away from Leo's arm. 

"Then why did Anton say you had him hooked?" She pushed, her burning glare settling on her fiancé. Leandro chuckled and shook his head. 

"Probably because she shot me and I haven't killed her yet." Leandro muttered before reaching for the bottle once more. I looked at Anton who's eyes told me it was an unfortunate mistake. 

"Well, you probably should kill her. No?" Clementina retorted, I ignored her comment as I settled on the side of the desk once more and took the needle to Leandro's skin. 

"You want me dead? We've never even spoken to one another," I muttered as I began to stitch up the wound. I was greeted with silence. "I'm on a job, if you're so worried about me then take comfort in the fact that I'll be out of your way when this is over."

"Dead, maybe. If I know Leo as well as I think I do you'll be killed for what you did." She retorted, and I could feel Leo tense at her words. 

"She won't be killed," Jacob cut in, "and I wouldn't go around making suggestions like that."

"You can't be so sure, she's just as disposable as anyone else." Clementina said, I rolled my eyes and continued to work on Leandro. "Anyway, there's no place for you here, not after everything that happened with Raul."

"Please tell your fiancé to shut the fuck up." I muttered, doing my best to stay calm as I got to the final stitch. 

"Why would he listen to you? After all, don't think I don't know that everyone in this family wanted you dead and gone from their lives." Her tone was filled with venom and hatred, her words stemming from jealousy. 

"You're boring me now," I sighed, putting the needle down and looking to Leandro who sat there with his jaw clenched and his hand balled up into a fist. He was battling with two sides, one of protecting me which would expose everything, and one of keeping quiet which was making him more angry. 

"Good, because you need to leave. I don't care what past you have with this family, you are not apart of it, you don't belong and you never will, you never have. No one wanted you back, no one cared enough, and no one wanted a little girl who was passed around the way you were." She spat, and for a moment I was taken back by the vile nature of her words, but then i remembered who I was. 

"Clementina," Leandro grunted as I walked towards her. 

"I think you're forgetting who you're talking to." I said lowly, "I kill people for a living. I take lives with my bare hands for money, but don't think I'll leave you out of the equation because I'm not getting paid. Don't ever fucking talk to me like that again, because I'll show you what I'm capable of, you'll be much easier than my usual target."

She was shorter than me, and I had fun watching her squirm, I could feel that rage in my stomach building slowly however, and I knew I needed to leave before I did something I would regret. 

"Might be good to educate her on what I've done for your organisation before she runs her mouth again." I said, my eyes burning into his. I could see the deliberation he held in his own, wanting me to stay but he evidently couldn't say it. 

I gave him a look of distaste, I was angry before but now I was feeling hurt. I knew it was unrealistic for him to jump in and defend me, but it hurt that he didn't all the same.