13 | Sicily

Leandro 

"Just before anyone asks, Artemisia isn't coming." Alvaro announced as we sat in my office, Anton was yet to arrive and as it stood it was myself, Domenico and Luiz, alongside Jacob and Alvaro. 

"How come?" I muttered, pretending I didn't care. 

I fucking cared. She'd gone MIA and I'd called at least twice a day and even gone to her apartment three times, there had been no signs of her for over a week and it was driving me crazy. However, Alvaro's statement provided me with a little comfort knowing that they knew where she was. 

It didn't change the fact that I was losing my mind and sleep over where she could be, resisting the urge to have my men track her down and bring her back to me if they could manage it. I needed her presence in my office, I needed to have her in my arms again, I needed to hear that angelic voice that rung out like classical music. 

I needed her. 

"You lied to her," the deep voice said from the corner of the room and I slowly looked over at Jacob who stood there with dark eyes and a stone-cold expression, "and Anton tried to attack her last week. So for her own safety, she's not gonna be working this job anymore." 

"He what?" I shot back, not paying attention to his clear dig at me. 

"He saw hickeys on her neck, told her to leave, and then starting chasing after her. Luckily I was around the corner, but she got in the car and he took a shot at us." Jacob grunted, scratching his jaw. 

I didn't know what I felt, maybe it was disbelief, or maybe it was so much anger that my body couldn't comprehend it's state. I swallowed before picking up my drink and throwing back a large amount of the whisky before walking back over to the bar and pouring some more. 

"Where is she?" I muttered

"She'll be back in contact when she's ready." Alvaro snapped, but before I could comment on his tone the door opened and a dry chuckle rung out from my adversary's lips. 

"Gentlemen," Anton muttered, and I listened as a body crashing down onto the sofa sounded. My hand clenched the glass as hard as possible without it breaking as I stared him down. "You look so happy to see me Leo," he smirked. 

"Are you drunk?" I spat, taking a step forward. 

"No, but I wish I was." He sighed, "What's the point of this meeting then? I thought we had agreed to kill Manuel, let it get messy." 

"Yeah, well that means we're going to Mexico to carry out the job. We just need to make sure that you two won't fuck up our plans." Jacob muttered, his eyes narrowing in on Anton who sat looking totally unbothered. 

"Well, what's the plan?" I asked after taking a large sip of my drink. I couldn't take my eyes off Anton however, and I wondered if he was aware I knew of his antics. 

I'd fucking kill him for it. 

"You two can't be seen together for starters, at all." Alvaro stated 

"Not a problem," Anton muttered

"And, you're gonna have to leave here for three days, one day either side of the job." Alvaro continued, I nodded and Anton shrugged as he looked up at the ceiling. 

What the fuck was up with him?

I wanted to say that Artemisia had nothing to do with this. That no woman could have such a strong impact on a man, especially not when that man was the type to throw himself into things as a method of distraction instead of fulfilling anything but his purpose.