36 | Selfish

Anton 

A semblance of peace, and all it took was one ring of her phone for it to come crashing down. 

The look she gave me, the anxiety in her eyes, the tension that ran through her body, it told me everything I needed to know. 

Gruffly, I told her to take it and she left me in her wake as she hesitantly got out of bed and went through to the balcony next door. Frustration filled me, my mind began to spin, and I felt like I was back where we started six years ago when Leo came into the picture. 

I couldn't make out the conversation, the combination of it being hushed and in very quick Italian getting the better of me, but I knew what he wanted. 

I couldn't be angry, he had a son with her, and I forced myself to remember the friendship and trust that Leo and I had built over the last five years. Our empires only complemented one another's, I had to remember that most of all. 

But it was fucking difficult, especially when I let her go that morning and all I wanted to do was know what had been said. I made myself refrain, but she could see it. The sex we had that morning showed it as we made love, as she tried to reassure me as best as she could, as she dragged us back to a world where only the two of us existed. 

The semblance of peace recreated itself before she had to leave, and I was left to my own devices for the rest of the day. I was very aware that when I was in my own company in this type of mood it was dangerous for me, but most importantly for her. 

Regret filled me as my mind flashed back to that night when I saw the hickey Leandro had left on her neck, but the memory was so visceral that I couldn't stop myself from replicating the rage that consumed me on that day. 

I sat out on the balcony, allowing my mind to dangerously wonder, and before I could stop myself I dialled the number of my good friend and business partner. 

One ring and he picked up, catching me short, I didn't know what I was going to say. 

"You seen what Gustavo said about the Colombian shipments?" He rushed, his voice agitated

"Tell me," I breathed, realising that I had totally forgotten about life outside Artemisia over the last 16 hours. 

I listened as he filled me in, something about the Colombians threatening to go to someone else who could handle the amount of their supply, something which we both knew was bullshit considering the fact that we were the only people in the States who had the resources to work with them. 

I shook my head with a dry chuckle, "they find out about modern chemistry and all of a sudden they're trying to triple Escobar's work rate, they're all talk, lets stay silent for now." 

"You're right," Leo sighed, "where even are you?" 

"Croatia, looking at some more development sites," I said cooly

"I need to ask a favour of you." He said immediately, as if he wasn't even listening to me, at least he couldn't pick up on my lie, not that he would've. 

"Anything." I replied 

"I'm gonna go to Athens tomorrow to see Artemisia, I need you to cover for me." 

I grew stiff, a ringing in my ear began to sound and I felt that ever-familiar feeling of rage creep up on me once more. 

"Ok," I managed to say, "and what do you want me to tell Clemmie?"

"Just tell her I'm in Colombia, something along those lines." Leo said and I hummed in agreement, but everything after that moment escaped me. 

I didn't even realise Leandro had hung up until I noticed that the ringing in my ear was beginning to subside and all I was left with was the tranquil silence of the beach beneath me, or it should have been tranquil at least.