31 | Spotted

Artemisia 

I whispered into Selene's ear that Rico and I would be better off going to the airport than staying at the hotel a moment longer. 

"I'm sorry, I wish things could have been different." I said sadly, stroking Rico's hair. 

Rico and I had spoken about the departure in the morning, and I gave him the option of staying behind with Xavia and Selene, but he was adamant that he wanted to go wherever I was going. 

"Won't you be sad Piccolo? Uncle Jacob and Uncle Alvaro won't be in Athens until next week," I asked and he shook his head 
(Italian: Little one)

"I want to spend time with you, not them." He smiled, and a smile came to my own lips allowing me to crush him in a hug. 

Right now our bags were in a car that would take us to the private airport and have us on an immediate flight back to Athens where I would spoil Rico until I physically couldn't anymore. He was so perceptive, and understood why we were leaving, it didn't bother him that he wasn't going to see Leandro for the time being. 

I felt selfish and cruel, and maybe I was being selfish and cruel, but I hadn't felt this afraid in a very long time. All of the past was barrelling into my life again, from the day I could first make out clear memories to running from Anton in Madrid. It was too much, and I craved the safety and normality of home once more. 

"I agree," Selene said softly, understanding where I was coming from. 

I'd broken down that morning to her and Xavia, filling them in on the fact that my ex was here with his wife and that we'd spoken last night. The two of them understood immediately and they wanted me to do what I wanted in order to protect myself. Kostas and George had said the same thing after they had been filled in when the rest of us arrived at breakfast, and Kostas looked surprised. 

"I just spoke to him," Kostas murmured, "he acted like he didn't know you." 

"Probably to get information on me," I sighed, looking over at Rico who was waiting patiently. 

We stood from the table and I told Rico to say goodbye to his friends as I was hugged tightly by my own, Xavia already organising dinner for us upon their return to Athens. As I hugged Kostas, I looked over his shoulder and found Leandro's gaze, he was shaking his head like he knew what my plan was. 

Could he blame me? 

I would get in touch with him when I was settled back in Athens, if he wanted to see Rico then he could, it wasn't like I was vanishing into thin air again. 

"Ready?" I smiled down at Rico and he nodded, taking my hand in his. We walked away from our friends and with a wide berth, we passed the table where I was receiving a mix of shocked looks, a look of betrayal, and looks of hatred; and then there was Anton who had a stone-cold expression. Typical

"Why were they all staring Mama?" Rico asked, seeming to have missed seeing Carina at the table.

"Because I know all of them, but most of them are not very nice people so I don't talk to them anymore Piccolo." I said gently, trying not to walk away too fast. 
(Italian: Little one)

"What did they do to you Mama?" Rico asked and I smiled and shook my head

"I told you yesterday Rico, I'll tell you all about it when you get older, for now though let's just get you home." I smiled as we walked towards the exit of the hotel. 

"Artemisia, dove vai?" The familiar voice called and I tensed completely, shocked that he would follow us when his furious wife was at the table.
(Italian: Artemisia, where are you going?)