Chapter 02

Kairos Sullivan (Point of View)

"Hoy Sullivan! Sino tinititigan mo? Kanina kapa tulala ah," sabi ni Ethan, kaibigan at ka teammate ko.

I came to my senses and turn to him. Umiling ako at binalik ang tingin sa lalaking naka-kulay yellow and white colored shirt at may bitbit na banner.

So, he's from UST, huh?

Binasa ko ang nakalagay sa banner na bitbit niya and I almost rolled my eyes.

It says 'Seby, my baby! Go! Go! Go!'

Nalukot ang mukha ko dahil sa nakasulat sa banner niya. He must like Sebastian Grayson, the team captain of their university's basketball team.

Umiling ako at tumingin nalang sa harapan. I roamed my eyes around the bench where our supporters are seated. They are cheering so loud while shouting our names.

I am the team captain of the DLSU basketball team. And most of our supporters are shouting my name while holding a banner with my name.

I'm not a fan of attention, in fact, I hate it. But it's not like I can avoid it since I am part of the basketball team.

"Kairos..." I heard a woman's voice behind me kaya binalingan ko 'to. She looks shy and all. The girl is holding an energy drink while her other hand is holding a banner.

"Yes?" I ask with my usual monotone voice.

She offers me the drink. "Gusto ko sanang ibigay ito sa'yo. Please, accept it," yumuko siya dahil sa hiya.

I stared at her and then at the drink. I can hear my friends teasing but I didn't mind them. There's nothing wrong with accepting this, right? Plus, I don't want to embarrass the girl.

I slowly lift my hand and accepted the drink. "Thanks."

The girl lifts her head and her face lightens up. "You're welcome, Kai! And thank you for accepting it."

I just nod my head and turn back my attention in front but the guy from UST caught my eyes again. Nakita ko siyang nakatingin sa'kin pero agad ding umiwas ng makitang nakatingin ako sakaniya.

The crowd is cheering loudly.

The game started and I got a bit distracted because I can feel his gaze on me.

"Iros! Dito!" Sigaw ni Ethan. I was about to pass the ball to him when a team from UST blocked my step and I fall.

The referee immediately blows the whistle. "Personal foul, UST, Jersey number 23, Hayes."

Agad na dumalo sa'kin si Ethan at tinulungan akong tumayo.

"Mukhang galit sa'yo, bro," natatawang sabi ni Ethan. Umiling ako at hindi na siya pinansin.

Nagpatuloy 'yung laro at ngayon lamang kami ng limang puntos. The referee raised his hands for a timeout. Agad na tumakbo kami pabalik sa bench namin. Pinunasan ko ang pawis ko at hingal na hingal ako habang pinapalibot ang tingin sa kabilang bench.

That guy is really distracting me!

"Team!" Tawag ng coach namin kaya agad kaming pumalibot sakaniya. "Kairos, focus lang. You are doing great. I can see that you are a bit distracted, ayos ka lang ba?"

Tumango ako. "I'm fine, coach. Sorry."

Tumango din si coach sa'kin. "A little more push. Ethan, they are not an easy opponent. You need to work together!"

"Yes, coach!" Sigaw naming lahat. We put all of our hands in front and we did a short cheer.

The game resumes, and the game intensified.