Chapter 20

Kairos Sullivan (Point of View)

Life and death. Two intertwined threads that weave through the tapestry of our existence. Grieving because of death is never been new to me. I lost Kairon. And that's when I realized how painful it is but now I'm going to experience it once again. Parang hindi ko kaya.

Today marks the death of my beloved mother.

Mother... the very word carries within it a universe of emotions. A mother is the embodiment of strength, compassion, and unconditional love. The very first woman we love. The one who brought us into this world. The one who taught us the most valuable lesson of life.

Our true hero.

Even for just a few minutes the void left by her absence feels like the world had stopped moving. My heart is being ripped out of my chest. I can't believe she's gone, parang ang bilis. Natulog lang ako tapos pagkagising ko wala na siya.

I'm standing here in the morgue, staring at her lifeless body as she's covered with a white cloth.

Ethan and Alexander are behind me holding my shoulder, they are both crying. Hindi ako makagalaw. Reality crashes upon me. Her lifeless body lies before me. Nakita ko si daddy sa tabi ng katawan niya, nakayuko pero kitang kita ang pag-alog ng mga balikat niya.

Slowly, I walked to my father's side. He looked up to me and his eyes are bloodshot.

"Son..." He softly shook his head and his tears are free falling on his cheeks. "I'm sorry," he said again. My vision got blurry because of unshed tears. I reach out, kahit nanginginig ang kamay I touch Mom's hand, hoping for some sign of life, but there's nothing.

How can this be?

How can someone so full of life, lie here, void of any trace of essence that made her who she was?

Then reality hits me like a tidal wave.

This is real. She's gone... forever.

Habang nakatitig sa mukha niya na sobrang putla at sobrang amo, a thousand memories flood my mind. Memories of her laughter, her unconditional love, and the countless times she was there for me, guiding me through the labyrinth of life. Her voice, once too familiar, now echoes in my mind, whispering words of comfort and wisdom. Ngayon hindi ko na maririnig pa iyon. Her warm embrace, the way she would hold me close when I needed it the most. The arms where I found safety and security. Now, those arms lie emotionless, unable to offer me solace in this moment of immeasurable pain.

Gusto kong sumigaw. Gusto kong magprotesta at magalit. How could fate be so cruel? How could it rob me of the one person who meant everything to me? Ang dami kong tanong pero alam kong hindi iyon masasagot.

The room feels suffocating. The air was heavy with the weight of grief. Kung pwede lang takbohan ang sakit na 'to kanina ko pa ginawa pero alam kong wala akong mapupuntahan. Alam kong hindi ito mawawala. Alam kong kailangan ko itong damhin.

There's regret that's creeping deep within me. Regret that I should have been good to her. I should have spent more time with her. I should have spoiled her with everything she wants but I know it's now useless. Her death is like a reminder of the fragility of life, of the preciousness of the time we have with our loved ones. Kaya napalingon ako kay daddy. He cried silently trying to conceal his emotions but couldn't. His hair is slowly turning gray. His skin is aging.

I turn to him and hug him gently. He froze but later on, broke down because of my comfort. Then I remembered my dream earlier. I don't know if it is a vision of future happenings pero parang namamaalam si mommy doon.