Chapter Twenty-Three

We sat down with Fives father at one if the bar tables. Five was in between me and Reginald.

"Who is he? I just asked for you boy since you seem to be the sensible one of the bunch." Reginald asked when I sat down next to Five.

"The boy has a name. Five. Five Hargreeves." Five said keeping his composer.

"Five? But that's a number?"

"Exactly. You named us numbers. We had to give names to ourselves."

"How unfortunate. And him?" Reginald asked not caring that he named children numbers.

"Hugo." I said staring at Reginald.

"What business do you have?"

"He may be the only other competent leader or so as you put it. He stays with." Five said and I nodded.

"Very well."

Five sighed. "The reason I'm the sensible one of the bunch is because I'm the oldest. You know, technically I'm older than you right now."

A decanter was placed in front of Reginald. "Cognac?" He offered.

"Just a smidge." Five said. I didn't respond since I knee the question wasn't for me. I was only there to witness the conversation. The old man wasn't in a hurry to involve me.

"The other night you quoted Homer at me, why?" Reginald asked.

"You forced us to learn it as kids. In the original Greek, no less." The two toasted their glasses and took a swig. "This world ends in five days if we don't get put of this timeline."

"World ends. Paleozoic, Jurassic, and so on." Reginald said uncaring.

"We can do something about this one." Five instead.

"Man's greatest flaw: the illusion as control."

"I need your help." Five said, trying to stay civil with his father. "All right? You're my last sane option. Otherwise, I gotta make a deal that I-we don't want to take. What do you know about time travle?"

"In theory?" Reginald asked.

"In practice."

"I know its akin to descending blindly into the depths of freezing waters and reappearing-" Reginald was cutoff.

"As an acron, yeah." Five finshed.

"What transpired when you first tried traveling before?"

"I botched it." Five admitted.

"How?"

"I jumped too far forward, got stuck in the future for forty-five years in an apocalypse. Then I jumped to far backwards...except I brought Hugo and my family with me." Five explained.

"Maybe your appetite is disproportionate to the size of your abilities. Start small. Seconds. Not decades." Reginald suggested.

"Seconds."

"Mmm."

"Look, no offense, but I need a bit more time for what I am trying to accomplish." Five complained.

"So much can change in the matter of seconds. One could overthrow and empire." Reginald said. "One could fall in love." He added. "An acron doesn't become an oak over night."

"I was really hoping you had more than that." Five sighed.

"I am sorry I can't be more help."

"I'm sorry too." Five said "I gave you such a hard time as a kid. I didn't know any better."

"No skin off my teeth, old man." Reginald said, raising his own drink once more and taking a sip. Five did the same downing his drink. He put the glass down and stood up, so did I.

I walked in front of Five and held to door for him.

"You there." Reginald spoke up before we left.

"Hugo." I said.

"Hugo, what do you do?"

"I'm sorry?" I asked as Five looked at me confused.

"I know my so-called sons ans daughters can poorly manipulate knifes, blow things up, and teleport. So what can you do?" Reginald asked aging.

"I...I have telekinesis. I can move things with my mind, but I can also see what people are doing in my head with just a name and picture. I never needed to use it though." I explained and Five looked at me more confused. I never told him.

"Hm, perhaps our paths will cross aging." Reginald said and my eyebrow kinted together.

"I highly doubt it."

I speed walk out of the building and Five caught up to me, he apered in front of me and stopped me.

"You never told me you can see what people are doing in your head. How come?" Five asked as we stood there.

"I never need to use it. I only used it so Miles could see what his crushes where doing." I said, crossing my arms.

"That could have been useful, you know, for a lot of things." Five said sounding frustrated.

"I'm sorry. Really, I am. I just never thought of using it." I said wiping sweat from my hands.

Five sighed. He grabbed my hand. "No, don't be sorry." My grip tighted on Fives hand. "But you know, since I could get this help I have to take the deal."

"I can come with if you want." I offered getting closer to Five. Our hands still together.

"No, plus I think it would be better for you to go check on Lisa." I chuckled and Five let go of my hand.

"Be safe." I brought Five into a hug, he was stiff at first but he hugged back. "Don't let that bitch get in your head." I added as I let go of Five. He smiled and sighed. He blinked away leaving my alone.

I got into the car and I drove back to Elliotts place. I took a long route and by the time I got there the sun was shining.  When I entered the place and could hear voices. When I reached the top of stairs I saw Elliott, dead in his chair.

"What the hell!?" I practically yelled. Diego and Luther came out from the kitchen. My hands where shaking, where is Lisa?

"Hugo? What are you-" I cut Luther off with a question.

"Where is Lisa?" I asked.

"Who?" Both Diego and Luther asked.

"The little girl I have been with over the past few months, you idiots! You didn't care to check to see maybe if she was okay?" I yelled. I was stressed and could feel my eyes burn.

"Hugo, you have to chill out. We didn't know she was here." Luther said and I pushed past him and Diego.

I stared to look for Lisa as I heard Luther and Diego talk to each other. I looked in Elliotts room and in his closet. I pulled back lose clothes to fine Lisa asleep. I poked at her, her eyes open slowly.

"Hugo...you're here." She said with a sad smile and hugged me. I could tell she was scared and crying.

"I didn't want to leave the closest because Elliott...he's still there." Lisa said in a low voice. We let go of the hug and sit on the ground.

"Everything is going to be okay. Okay?" I said and Lisa nodded leaning her head on my shoulder.

"But, I have to talk to you. I know you want to come back to 2019 with us." I said and Lisa stayed quite. "I don't know if that's going to happen. I see what happened when we came here, I just scared to see what would happen if I brought you." My voice went quite as Lisa looked up at me.

"What are you talking about? Are you saying I'm going to make the end of the world happen? Aging?" Lisa said. She looked angry with me.

"No,no,no! I am not saying that." Lisa got up and walked out of the room. I followed her. "Lisa please. I'm just looking out for you!" Luther and Diego watched all this as Lisa ran out if the building. Running into Five.

He looked up at me confused, I just sighed in defeat.

An: Lisa and Hugo angst 😘